British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Australian RFC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55765)

magpie 07-08-16 04:19 PM

Australian RFC

2 Attachment(s)
Would anyone have any thoughts on this RFC badge, it's not one that I can remember seeing before and as can be seen it has a lined pattern of the RAAF inside the RFC rather than the normal stipple/seeding, it's also near the same size as the RAAF badges and a little bigger than the standard RFC pattern differing in other ways too, I'm also in two minds as to it being a die stamped or cast.
I'd like to know if it's a known copy/fake or something else like a lesser known variation.
Thanks for your time, Andy :)

manchesters 07-08-16 06:09 PM

There was no Australian RFC it was the Australian Flying Corps so cant be Australian.

regards

Frank Kelley 07-08-16 06:45 PM

The obverse looks rather "Canadian" what does the reverse look like?
Are the lugs brass?

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 370827)
Would anyone have any thoughts on this RFC badge, it's not one that I can remember seeing before and as can be seen it has a lined pattern of the RAAF inside the RFC rather than the normal stipple/seeding, it's also near the same size as the RAAF badges and a little bigger than the standard RFC pattern differing in other ways too, I'm also in two minds as to it being a die stamped or cast.
I'd like to know if it's a known copy/fake or something else like a lesser known variation.
Thanks for your time, Andy :)

magpie 07-08-16 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes the lugs are brass frank so perhaps you're right with your answer, i knew the RAAF was formed a few years after the RAF and assumed wrongly that perhaps AFC May have merged if that's the right word with the RFC not that I know anything about it as I'm pretty sure that I've seen pictures of Australian air men with RFC badges and again assumed that the link was in the striped R & F in the RAAF badges again wrongly :o so perhaps it's canadian, the only thing I know is it doesn't seem to be a bog standard british RFC.

Frank Kelley 07-08-16 07:40 PM

That is Canadian made and original, not common either.

Jackhr 07-08-16 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 370860)
Yes the lugs are brass frank so perhaps you're right with your answer, i knew the RAAF was formed a few years after the RAF and assumed wrongly that perhaps AFC May have merged if that's the right word with the RFC not that I know anything about it as I'm pretty sure that I've seen pictures of Australian air men with RFC badges and again assumed that the link was in the striped R & F in the RAAF badges again wrongly :o so perhaps it's canadian, the only thing I know is it doesn't seem to be a bog standard british RFC.

Australia’s eight Australian Flying Corps (AFC) squadrons were part of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) and were attached to larger British Royal Flying Corps / Royal Air Force formations.

In January 1920, the AFC was replaced by the Australian Air Corps, which in turn became the Australian Air Force on 31 March 1921 with the King’s consent to become the Royal Australian Air Force on 13 August 1921.

badgecollector 08-08-16 10:33 AM

hey andy
definitely nothing to do with australia or the AFC etc but its a beautiful looking item. shame if it is a copy.
did the canadians make RFC badges?
bc

magpie 08-08-16 11:04 AM

They seem to have made them according to the Charlton books but they only show a standard type badge which again is why assumed the connection was with the lettering as a carry on from old to new.
Thanks for your interest all, much appreciated.

Andy :)

Frank Kelley 08-08-16 08:20 PM

RFC cap badges were made by Canadian manufacturers, in very considerable numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 370912)
hey andy
definitely nothing to do with australia or the AFC etc but its a beautiful looking item. shame if it is a copy.
did the canadians make RFC badges?
bc