British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Northamptonshire AA T&S (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12284)

James G 06-09-10 04:25 PM

Northamptonshire AA T&S

I have just bought an Anodised Aluminium Northamptonshire Regiment badge marked " T&S " on the slider. Can anyone tell me which company used this mark.

James

1stTankie 06-09-10 04:33 PM

T & S

Hi James

Not my scene but could this be J W Tiptaft & Son Ltd?

Best wishes

Gordon

Alan O 06-09-10 04:54 PM

Toye and Spencer later TKS when they added Kenning.

ukbrits 06-09-10 05:45 PM

T&S cap badge

Hi James,
This is a very early maker of anodised aluminium cap badges. It is actually made by a company in Birmingham called Turner & Simpson.
They produced other British Military badges including R.A.O.C, R.A and R.E badges usually with metal sliders.
Turner & Simpson were primarily silversmiths but in the early days of anodised aluminium did produce military badges.
They had to my knowledge no involvement with Toye Kenning & Spencer.
Hope this answers your post.
Best regards
UKbrits

peter616 06-09-10 06:58 PM

yes it is Toye and Spencer

hagwalther 06-09-10 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbrits (Post 81256)
Hi James,
This is a very early maker of anodised aluminium cap badges. It is actually made by a company in Birmingham called Turner & Simpson.
They produced other British Military badges including R.A.O.C, R.A and R.E badges usually with metal sliders.
Turner & Simpson were primarily silversmiths but in the early days of anodised aluminium did produce military badges.
They had to my knowledge no involvement with Toye Kenning & Spencer.
Hope this answers your post.
Best regards
UKbrits

This is correct.

The marks on the badges came in two styles being just a simple 'T&S' stampled into the slider or as part of a relief where the 'T&S' is proud. Both markings are scarce and worth looking out for.

Regards

Chris

hagwalther 07-09-10 12:08 AM

Known badges by Turner & Simpson:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ghlight=turner

Regards

Chris

KLR 07-09-10 06:22 AM

When I was in B'ham Archives library the other week looking up Gaunt data, I noticed a reference to Turner & Simpson, crest and badge patterns 1950s-80s. I had never heard of them and after swiftly noticing that they were civil designs I moved on and didn't even record the file reference.
Sorry !

Chris, you had better let me know what other obscure companies you are after !

James G 07-09-10 04:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the informed response. The badge certainly appears to be well made for an anodised badge. The slider is attached at two points which makes the badge quite sturdy. I have tried to photograph the badge but it has been difficult with the reflections from this badge. The stamped in T & S is clearer in the flesh than it appears on the photo.

Mike H 07-09-10 06:15 PM

Similar slider arrangement to other metal ones weve seen.

James G 07-09-10 07:13 PM

Mike,

Do you mean that this company also made metal Northamptonshire badges?

James

Mike H 08-09-10 08:43 PM

No James,what i mean the metal slider is attached in a similar way to the method user by other makers.
Grove Mfg who made my Northampton badge used a slotted slider fitted over a stub of aluminium which is then crimped into place to hold it in place.

James G 09-09-10 08:43 PM

Thanks Mike. Until I bought this one all my AA badges were bog standard Dowler or Gaunt badges so this is the first time I've come across this type of slider.

James

Mike H 10-09-10 05:41 PM

James ,have you looked at the threads regarding makers marks in the anodised aluminium badges section.It may help you identify whether Northants badges were made by anyone other than the 3 we have mentioned.

James G 11-09-10 07:00 PM

Mike,

I've had a look through and found that this badge was also made by Smith and Wright so I will put that on my wants list.

James