British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Green Jackets Brigade Quandry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64835)

Mike H 15-10-17 01:30 PM

Green Jackets Brigade Quandry

3 Attachment(s)
Any help on this one would be much appreciated.
Ive recently bought this Green Jackets Brigade HM silver badge. HM is 1958,maker stamp is for Gaunts. So happy is 100% genuine.
Heres my quandry,it has 2 screw posts north and south. But its only the size of the cap badge rather than a crossbelt badge. I havent a clue as to its use.
Pouch badge possibly
Front on the crossbelt possibly but not for an Officer
Trial pattern possibly.

monty 15-10-17 03:02 PM

Mike do you think that it had loops originally?,Or started out life with the bolts on?
Regards Gary

Mike H 15-10-17 03:31 PM

My thoughts are that yes it did . Usually examples have the lugs fitted at 3 and 9 o'clock. But why do it to a silver badge ?

Frank Kelley 15-10-17 04:36 PM

Just from the photographs, I would think that it was made like that, I certainly cannot see any sign of it ever having had silver lugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 424415)
Any help on this one would be much appreciated.
Ive recently bought this Green Jackets Brigade HM silver badge. HM is 1958,maker stamp is for Gaunts. So happy is 100% genuine.
Heres my quandry,it has 2 screw posts north and south. But its only the size of the cap badge rather than a crossbelt badge. I havent a clue as to its use.
Pouch badge possibly
Front on the crossbelt possibly but not for an Officer
Trial pattern possibly.

leigh kitchen 15-10-17 05:07 PM

Any chance it may be a rifles busby / shako badge?

Toby Purcell 15-10-17 05:22 PM

I suspect it might be a SNCOs pouch belt badge. If I recall correctly the pouch belt was narrower and badge smaller than the officer equivalents.

Mike H 15-10-17 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 424440)
Any chance it may be a rifles busby / shako badge?

I think it maybe a bit big for the busby Leigh.

Mike H 15-10-17 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Purcell (Post 424443)
I suspect it might be a SNCOs pouch belt badge. If I recall correctly the pouch belt was narrower and badge smaller than the officer equivalents.

Very possible Toby,unfortunately i cant find any photographic evidence to support the theory.It did come with a HM silver pouch badge to the Rifle Brigade(HM 1937) .
I did always wonder where the Rifles SNCOs having the smaller crossbelt badge came from.

leigh kitchen 15-10-17 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 424445)
I think it maybe a bit big for the busby Leigh.

I think it's unlikely that it was worn on the Busby, though some rifle regiments have worn cap badge sized badges.

Mike H 15-10-17 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 424450)
I think it's unlikely that it was worn on the Busby, though some rifle regiments have worn cap badge sized badges.

Definately ,problem is finding images that support the theories .
The length of the screws suggests to me pouch or crossbelt rather than wbc or similar.

Alex Rice 16-10-17 03:14 PM

If it was hallmarked, maybe private purchase and it may well just be that the buyer specified that he wanted screw-posts. It may have originally had a backing plate as well.
Cheers,
Alex

Mike H 16-10-17 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 424553)
If it was hallmarked, maybe private purchase and it may well just be that the buyer specified that he wanted screw-posts. It may have originally had a backing plate as well.
Cheers,
Alex

Ive never come across one of that size with screwposts Alex. All the HMed ones ive seen have east and west lugs. The length of the posts suggest pouch or crossbelt .

Toby Purcell 16-10-17 05:39 PM

I’m convinced it was the badge for the pouchbelt, with the plain silver bugle-horn on the pouch itself, and both with screw posts. It was necessary to have a generic pouch belt for the SNCOs as the Oxf & Bucks had not previously worn rifles regalia at all and yet were suddenly transformed into the 1st Green Jackets within the new brigade.

Mike H 16-10-17 06:16 PM

Yes Toby,i have to agree with you . Its the size thats puzzled me.The pouch badge most commonly seen is the KRRC one,which is similar to the LI one.
The LI brigade then regt wore Sam Brownes until 1972ish.

fougasse1940 16-10-17 07:58 PM

The length of the bolts suggests a car plaque badge, but hallmarked silver seems a bit decadent for a car plaque.

Rgds, Thomas.