British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Norfolk Yeomanry Badge - ID Required. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65404)

Michael Griffiths 22-11-17 06:25 PM

Norfolk Yeomanry Badge - ID Required.

3 Attachment(s)
This is another badge from my collection that needs clarification. I suspect it is a Norfolk Yeo. badge.
The specs are as follows: SIZE: 1 1/8" High. (44 mm). 1 3/4" Wide (35 mm).
WEIGHT: 1/4 oz. (8g.) approx. MATERIAL: G/M. LOOPS: 3.
Any input would be very appreciative. I have looked at other Norfolk Yeo. badges,
but this one is a little smaller in size, could it possibly be a collar badge, and if so,
worn on what dress uniform.
Michael

badjez 23-11-17 08:18 AM

Norfolk Yeo

The Norfolk yeomanry wore the larger version of the Royal Cypher as a headdress badge but had a regimental collar badge.
The smaller cypher was used for Barrack Wardens, Military Schoolmasters and Military Provost Corps.

I believe previous threads have tried (unsuccessfully) to solve this conundrum.

Stephen.

Michael Griffiths 26-11-17 08:31 PM

Thank you Stephen.

I will put this one in my research file, and hope that something comes to light in the near future.

Michael

Michael Griffiths 15-01-18 06:28 PM

NORFOLK YEOMANRY Collar badge.

4 Attachment(s)
This was brought to my attention, and I wish to pass it along.
It comes out of the publication titled; The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914. #12 THE YEOMANRY CAVALRY OF NORFOLK. Pg.18 Fig. 25:

I think this may answer my inquiry re the collar badge I had posted awhile back.
Michael

badjez 16-01-18 12:10 AM

Norfolk Yeo

Michael,

Thanks for that. It was supposedly worn by the bandmaster and officers on Frockcoats in gilt. Is your badge gilt or gilding metal?

Since the original post it has also come to light that the same badge was possibly worn by CANADIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCES,MILITARY HEADQUARTERS STAFF as a CAP BADGE (stamped Scully Montreal) and/or the Royal Canadian Regt.

Stephen.

Michael Griffiths 16-01-18 07:19 PM

Stephen

My badge is a gilding metal version, 44mm high and not maker marked.
I checked my reference material as follows, CANADIAN MILITIA BADGES PRE 1914 by Daniel Mazeas re The Royal Canadian Regiment version of the collar badge MM.9. Post 1911 on page 56, and the badge is smaller, only 30mm high. All of his illustrations are same size.The other badge you mentioned was to the CANADIAN MILITARY HEADQUARTERS, I looked this up and found reference to the badge in MILITARY BADGES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE 1914-18 by Reginald H.W. Cox. Badge No. 938 found on page 112 is only 40mm high in gilding metal.
Badges in the COX book are all photographed same size. Both of the Canadian badges seem to be a little smaller than the NORFOLK YEOMANRY badge in my collection. Thank you for the information you have provided re this badge.
Kind Regards'
Michael

norfolk regt man 17-01-18 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Griffiths (Post 433160)
This was brought to my attention, and I wish to pass it along.
It comes out of the publication titled; The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914. #12 THE YEOMANRY CAVALRY OF NORFOLK. Pg.18 Fig. 25:

I think this may answer my inquiry re the collar badge I had posted awhile back.
Michael

Hi Michael, sadly Kieth hook, who’s photo this is, will tell that the numbers on the photo and the numbers on the details have been mixed up. You can find him via the essex museum

badjez 17-01-18 10:26 AM

Norfolk Yeo

Neither Keith nor his son work at the Essex Regt museum any longer. Keith is long retired, and not in the rosiest of health these days.

Stephen.