British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   27 HQ CRASC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65715)

Mike Jackson 16-12-17 04:59 PM

27 HQ CRASC

1 Attachment(s)
Help required from a hawk-eyed Forum member - this is definitely an RASC vehicle, but I should like to confirm the unit. On the mudguard nearest the camera is a square presumably in RASC colours - red/green divided diagonally. Below the square a white horizontal bar indicating Army Troops. Superimposed on the square, the unit serial in white - four digits but I can only decipher xx35. Can anyone with superior software identify all four digits? There's also an RASC unit badge - painted on a disc -looks like a cartoon character mouse, haloed and holding something in front, left paw. Any ideas? The image does enlarge quite well. Mike
Attachment 182082

54Bty 16-12-17 05:26 PM

Looks like 1735 and the mouse reminds me of the Pink Panther, while on the mud guard possibly a blue on yellow shield, a bit too light for red.

Marc

Chacal 16-12-17 05:31 PM

Reminds me of the Pink Panther too, it also looks like the figure is doffing a top hat with it's right arm/paw, the halo being the underside of the brim.

Graham

fougasse1940 16-12-17 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree the number is 1735.

Rgds, thomas

Mike Jackson 16-12-17 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very many thanks everyone! 1735 is very useful - but was the pink panther around in the spring of 1945? I'll continue the search - RASC units signs of that period range from the heraldically correct to the extremely weird and wonderful - and scores of them have yet to be identified. Example attached. Mike
Attachment 182090

54Bty 16-12-17 06:01 PM

"7th Mobile Bath Unit"!????:D

Marc :):)

fougasse1940 16-12-17 06:26 PM

The Pink Panther cartoon character started in 1963.

Rgds, Thomas

Mike Jackson 16-12-17 07:32 PM

You're a shower...!

Playing the part of a Capt RASC, Terry-Thomas's first full length film was called Privates Progress, released in 1956, where he starred alongside Richard Attenborough and Ian Carmichael (ex 22 D). A particular catchphrase from that film, (‘You’re an absolute shower’) became associated with Terry-Thomas over the years.

David Tremain 17-12-17 04:45 PM

I remember it well. Great catchphrase. Why don't they show those movies anymore?

David

grey_green_acorn 17-12-17 05:02 PM

Private's Progress

3 Attachment(s)
From the film

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 430323)
Playing the part of a Capt RASC, Terry-Thomas's first full length film was called Privates Progress, released in 1956, where he starred alongside Richard Attenborough and Ian Carmichael (ex 22 D). A particular catchphrase from that film, (‘You’re an absolute shower’) became associated with Terry-Thomas over the years.

Mike Jackson 17-12-17 09:37 PM

Curiously (?) it did not show the Intelligence Corps in a particularly good light - Stanley, having been commissioned, was sent on a Japanese language course in preparation for deployment on Operation Hatrack - in Germany. Mike