British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hudson & co 1915 whistle (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61471)

JerryBB 23-04-17 07:56 AM

Hudson & co 1915 whistle

3 Attachment(s)
A pick up yesterday for a very sensible price. It has the pattern number for whistles made after 1909 and has the date of 1915. Most you see are not WD arrow marked and perhaps officer whistles would be private purchase and not have the marks but OR's issue whistles would. Either way a fine original and something I has always wanted.

Frank Kelley 23-04-17 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Good gracious me, Jerry, very nice indeed, clearly great minds think alike, I bought this only today, locally, dated 1916, with it's original leather fob, the details on the latter, a little indistinct, I cannot get a clear photograph, but, appears to be the government arrow, above M, with 15 below.

JerryBB 23-04-17 05:02 PM

Well Frank, what a coincidence.

Very nice to have it with the fob intact and WD marked as well to boot, extra special.

I had quite good day at a fair yesterday, well worth getting out for.

Frank Kelley 23-04-17 06:00 PM

You know Jerry, when I hear one of these actually blown, I initially think of that final episode of Blackadder, but, then reality springs to mind, it's distinctive sound sends a shiver through me and I'll start to think of trench warfare.
Regards Frank

JerryBB 23-04-17 06:08 PM

Frank,

When I showed it to my wife, she said how she always thinks about the men sent over the top at the command of the whistle, many of whom would have died or been wounded and it always makes her uncomfortable to think of it. Don't get me wrong, she has an appreciation of such things and was surprised I was able to find one at an affordable price.

Frank Kelley 23-04-17 06:27 PM

Indeed, I suppose for some men, it was the last thing they ever heard, truly appalling.

You mention the awful word price, I assume they must have a basic price, not something I collect or know anything about.
I paid the stallholder £10 for mine this morning and I certainly did not feel in anyway robbed, but, what do you think their price is?

JerryBB 23-04-17 06:52 PM

Frank,

Typically about £50-75, more on dealer sites and a couple of tears back I had seen them reach more than £100 on eBay. I paid £13 for mine at which I was happy.

Frank Kelley 23-04-17 06:58 PM

£100!:eek:
Madness!:(

ubervamp 24-04-17 09:09 AM

Hi guys

Very nice examples, and at very reasonable prices too, I believe. Thanks for showing.
I've been on the lookout for one of these for a while and notice that they easily fetch about £70+ on eBay.
I need to get to a fair! Lol

Cheers
Colin

realownlee 24-04-17 12:51 PM

Nice whistles.
I have a 1918 dated example, when I purchased it I wondered if it was some kind of modern fake/copy (they do exist) having a copper, dull finish.
Have often wondered whether the finish was a late war economy thing, or a belated realisation that anyone seen by the enemy, toting a nice chrome shiny whistle, was likely to be an officer?!
There was a very interesting article, in, 'The Armourer' I think? many years ago which I have saved somewhere.
Yes, the prices on these are all over the place, as are prices for the the RAF chrome whistles, depending where you find them.....
Make a great display item though.

Frank Kelley 24-04-17 12:58 PM

When I was a child, I do remember you could just walk around shops and fairs and buy them with impunity, Police, ARP and so on, I am staggered that they appear, now, to be so expensive!:eek: