British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Identification required (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64095)

airtrooper 04-09-17 09:04 AM

Identification required

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Fellas,
Looking for an ID on this SAS badge.
Measures 5cm x 6cm.
Thanks, in advance.
Del.

JerryBB 04-09-17 09:12 AM

Reminds me of continental made woven insignia, German perhaps and postwar, though never seen sas made this way. Interesting badge Del.

Paul Spellman 04-09-17 09:26 AM

Hi,
Possibly from the Bad Tolz area?
Paul

airtrooper 04-09-17 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 419185)
Reminds me of continental made woven insignia, German perhaps and postwar, though never seen sas made this way. Interesting badge Del.

Known as "Bevo weave" ?

JerryBB 04-09-17 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airtrooper (Post 419189)
Known as "Bevo weave" ?

That's the stuff Del, it was used postwar for allied insignia.

Bevo if German, Brabbant if Dutch.

54Bty 04-09-17 12:56 PM

This is mine, it has been on here before, with no results.

Marc

JerryBB 04-09-17 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting to see two slightly different variants, apart from the obvious differences they are not the same.

both are very appealing though.

Luc 05-09-17 08:12 PM

I've been watching a badge from the 1st Free French Division which was also manufactured like the badges shown. And I don't believe they were ever stationed in Brabant or Germany, so perhaps the style was used more widely?

Postwarden 06-09-17 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An interesting badge. In the early years of WW2 the British firm Brough, Nicholson & Hall produced silk woven badges similar to the first SAS badge szhown. Instructed by the Ministry of Supply to stop wasting precious materials their badge style disappeared about 1942.

The attached sample of the badge they made for 15th Scottish Division - sorry don't have a scan of the back - shares some characteristics with the SAS badge shown. Could they be related?

If so the SAS badge would have been made in early 1944 when the SAS came to Britain to prepare for D Day. It clearly did not get worn if that was what happened.

Comments welcome.

Jon

Mike B 06-09-17 03:27 PM

Interesting thoughts Jon - and would mean either the Ministry of Supply relented from their instruction, or SAS had influence somewhere to be granted production by Brough, Nicholson and Hall, or production by Brough, Nicholson and Hall may have been resumed more generally at some stage. Following your previous guidance I had always assumed Brough, Nicholson and Hall insignia was early - but again you raise a very interesting potential scenario.
Mike
PS - Lovely Badge

Tanker Mike 07-09-17 02:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Canadian Armoured Carrier Regt had a similar Bevo weave title made in Holland, the factory was known to have made German insignia then when liberated made the Canadian title.

JerryBB 07-09-17 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker Mike (Post 419517)
The Canadian Armoured Carrier Regt had a similar Bevo weave title made in Holland, the factory was known to have made German insignia then when liberated made the Canadian title.

Possibly Belgium rather than Holland and known as Brabbant weave.

fougasse1940 07-09-17 07:35 PM

Brabant is a southern province of Holland and used to be known for its textile industry, including companies specializing in clothes labels who made these.

Rgds, Thomas.

Mike H 07-09-17 07:41 PM

So if they are shite East German copies are they Trabant weave ?

JerryBB 07-09-17 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 419565)
Brabant is a southern province of Holland and used to be known for its textile industry, including companies specializing in clothes labels who made these.

Rgds, Thomas.

Not sure why, but I have brabant as Belgian rather than Dutch, glad to have that corrected, though the original duchy was in Belgium and south brabant is still part of Belgium and north or staats brabant is in Holland.