British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation and Tasking Signs (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Eskimo's, Polar Bears and Lemmings. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50528)

Bill A 04-01-16 09:48 PM

Eskimo's, Polar Bears and Lemmings.

1 Attachment(s)
In 1944-45 three cold weather exercises were held in parts of northern Canada to develop winter warfare doctrine and test equipment and uniforms. Exercise Eskimo, the best know of the three, was held in the dry cold conditions of northern Saskatchewan, while lesser know Exercise Polar Bear was held in northern British Columbia to test in cold wet conditions. The final exercise was a small contingent of less than 20 personnel who specifically tested vehicles on the barrens north of Churchill Manitoba.
Exercise Eskimo personnel were identified by a circular formation patch, embroidered in white on a blue field. The desing included an igloo on a field of snow with a plume of smoke drifting skyward. In the upper right quadrant, the North Star, with an embroidered border in the upper half of the circle. Identified as Ex Eskimo, it is likely that both of the larger exercises were issued the tasking patch.

Darrell 10-01-16 06:12 AM

....and MUSK OX; Oh my!!

Hi Bill

No idea if POLAR BEAR or LEMMING had a patch but the slightly later Ex MUSK OX did:

http://www.ww2patchquilt.com/uploads...2614_orig.jpeg

I used to have one about 10 years ago but I was less interested in keeping cloth then than I am now!!

pic and additional pics/info on this Forum:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...and-tf-frigid/

regards
Darrell

edstorey 10-01-16 11:41 AM

Operation vs Exercise

Those are both nice patches, but they represent Exercises and not Operations. Exercises are training events were as Operations are for deployments so in these two cases you have insignia from Exercise Musk Ox and Exercise Eskimo.

Bill A 10-01-16 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Darrell, You jumped ahead of me. I was going to post the Ex Musk Ox patch separately. The following year, in 1946, the Canadian army and the RCAF tested vehicles, equipment and techniques in a trek across the Arctic. The Musk Ox group was composed of several specially developed snow machines and went cross country. The establishment was listed as 48 officers and men plus several observers. The trek started in Churchill Manitoba, heading north and west then eventually southwards, ending in Edmonton Alberta. In addition there were supporting contingents, numbering approx 225 personnel at various locations. The trek was resupplied by the RCAF. It was a "first" in many ways in 1946. At one point the convoy met up with the RCMPV St Roch, having Musk Ox represent all three elements. There would be follow up exercises including the tactical Exercise Sweetbriar in 1950. In that scheme an incursion along the Alaska Highway into the Yukon was met and "repulsed" by a combined US/Canadian force. The Canadian force included 1 Bn PPCLI. An airborne contingent of the PPCLI bn made a jump in extreme cold conditions. A special cloth arc was worn by the US force and was supplied, at least as a souvenir for the Canadians.

Darrell 10-01-16 04:32 PM

Hi Bill

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to steal your thunder!:o Good posts though and thanks.

Hi Ed

Not my photo and not my captions on it. I am fully aware of the difference between an Op and an Ex. That is why i said "EX" in my post. Thank you for pointing it out in this thread though. You can join that Forum and let them know if you like. ;)

regards
Darrell

edstorey 10-01-16 04:54 PM

USMilitaria Forum

I do belong to that one as well. The Americans considered those exercises to be Operations as they were held outside of the Continental US and they were held in the pre-NATO period before the terminology was standardized.

barriefield-brian 10-01-16 05:02 PM

Another couple of patches to look for. Don't see these often, I finally found a kiska patch. Cheers Brian

Bill A 10-01-16 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ex Eskimo patches, while not easy, are around. (I think that Ex Polar Bear personnel may have worn the Igloo patch as well.) The Musk Ox patches are difficult, and the US ARCTIC CAN are quite scarce. There is another shoulder arc that reads EXERCISE YUKON, which was for another US exercise the year before Sweetbriar. It was held in Alaska and was only US personnel. Why it was called Ex Yukon is a bit of a mystery.
(I have the arc over the Ex Musk Ox patch, but that is an error.)

Bill A 10-01-16 05:36 PM

Ed/Darryl, thanks for the discussion re op vs ex. I was not aware of that distinction in American use.

Darrell 03-03-17 01:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

I was browsing a regimental journal from 1946 and came across this ad from O'Keefe Brewery.

Exercise, Operation, and now Expedition Muskox.:D

regards
Darrell

edstorey 03-03-17 02:28 PM

Expedition

The print media are not necessarily known for their knowledge of military matters so I think the term 'Expedition' may be something the marketing people from O'Keefe Brewery may have selected for the advertising campaign. Military documents that I have all refer to it as Exercise Musk Ox. There is also a distinction between a military Operation and an Exercise, the two terms are not interchangeable.

Darrell 03-03-17 03:36 PM

Hi Ed

I agree.

Thanks for the previous definitions.:)

regards
Darrell