British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   County of Stafford, Red Cross Society badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65946)

Terra Nova 02-01-18 05:16 PM

County of Stafford, Red Cross Society badge

2 Attachment(s)
We often see the standard British Red Cross Society cap badge with the "INTER ARMA CARITAS" bottom scrolls.

This one is a little different with "COUNTY OF 32 STAFFORD" bottom scrolls added on as a separate piece. It looks like it had blade/folding tang fasteners at one time, which have been superseded by wire loops.

My questions are:

1. is there a variety of similar Red Cross badges for different Counties and Districts?

2. what would be the approximate usage dates of this badge?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Best wishes to all,

Tim

Milmed 02-01-18 05:26 PM

Hi Tim,
I stand corrected but it is my understanding that these RC county badges are of WWI origin and the standard 'Inter Arma Caritas' been of WWII period

Steven

yorkstone 02-01-18 05:32 PM

I am sure I have a county of Stafford badge but minus the number un able to check at the moment though.

Regards

Steve

Terra Nova 02-01-18 05:33 PM

Ahoy Steven!

Many thanks. This is very helpful.

Now, I have to resist the temptation of chasing after all the varieties! I should imagine that there would be a great many of them.

all the best,

Tim

manchesters 02-01-18 07:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I have collected named and numbered BRCS cap badges for a while and have attached a few different examples for your interest.

They can be found with most British County designations, some with numbers and some without.

Other titles can be found on the bottom scrolls and the Scottish ones in particular have a single bottom scroll a lot of the time.

They can be found both enamelled and unenamelled and with rear horizontal pins, blades or loops.

A very interesting collecting field that extends also to a multitude of Metal County shoulder titles and Enamelled County breast badges and more besides.

regards

Tinto 02-01-18 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 431804)
Hello,

I have collected named and numbered BRCS cap badges for a while and have attached a few different examples for your interest.

They can be found with most British County designations, some with numbers and some without.

Other titles can be found on the bottom scrolls and the Scottish ones in particular have a single bottom scroll a lot of the time.

They can be found both enamelled and unenamelled and with rear horizontal pins, blades or loops.

A very interesting collecting field that extends also to a multitude of Metal County shoulder titles and Enamelled County breast badges and more besides.

regards

That's a nice selection, Simon. Thanks for showing. I have a "County of Cambridge" with no number.
Cheers, Tinto

Terra Nova 05-01-18 02:25 AM

Thank you Simon and Tinto,

I especially appreciated seeing the wide diversity in those badges. Theya re lovely and very well made

I currently have only the one numbered/county version. What could possibly go wrong with finding a few other variations to go along with it? (Walk away from the edge!) What are these competing voices in my head? :) I suspect that I am not alone...!

best to all,

Tim