British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bank Top Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427)

jeep 06-07-14 10:26 AM

Bank Top Cadets

1 Attachment(s)
I recently saw on ebay along with some other Army Apprentice insignia, a shoulder title 'BTC' which was wrongly described as 'Boy's Technical Collage.' The correct designation was 'Boy's Technical School' and I show a pic of the correct title. So what was 'BTC'? I have seen somewhere (can't remember where), that it stood for 'Bank Top Cadets.' There is little info to be found on t'internet, except possible connections with the Boys Brigade and maybe South Africa circa Boar War. Can anyone throw some light on this?

TWGB 07-07-14 08:39 AM

Bank Top Cadets

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst I know nothing about the Bank Top Cadets, I have picked up a cap badge somewhere along the way...

As with John's request, all info gratefully received!

BEst regards, Tim

badjez 07-07-14 12:37 PM

Bank Top Cadets

Keith Rawlings booklet on cadet insignia lists Bank Top Cadets Manchester having a cap badge, as pictured above, and a title 'B T C'. This is of course only a secondary source and should be treated as such.

Stephen.

manchesters 07-07-14 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 268965)
Keith Rawlings booklet on cadet insignia lists Bank Top Cadets Manchester having a cap badge, as pictured above, and a title 'B T C'. This is of course only a secondary source and should be treated as such.

Stephen.

Stephen,

Are you sure the BTC were in Manchester?

regards

Peter Brydon 07-07-14 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stephen/Simon,

Dosnt mention Manchester in my ( second edition ) copy of Rawlings.

Peter

manchesters 07-07-14 02:39 PM

Hello,

I know the badge, but never associated it with Manchester.

Does anyone know where it was based and what period please.

regards

Alan O 07-07-14 03:12 PM

There is no record of it being a UK organisation that I can find other than some unsubstantiated auctioneer/dealer selling blurb. I have looked at WW2 era Army lists and it is not amongst recorded Cadet Corps.

It has been suggested before that it may have a South African connection.

manchesters 07-07-14 03:20 PM

Alan,

Just had a look through OWEN and cant find it.

regards

ANGLE IRON 07-07-14 04:12 PM

I thought it was a Birmingham cadet unit, but thats from memory and mine is not always reliable!

engr9266 07-07-14 06:03 PM

Could it be BRITISH TRANSPORT COMMISSION ?? Wild guess :)

ANGLE IRON 07-07-14 09:33 PM

plot thickens there seems to be areas in Manchester and Birmingham known as Bank top, This may be one of those units that never applied for or were accepted by TF . Kevin

manchesters 07-07-14 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON (Post 269034)
plot thickens there seems to be areas in Manchester and Birmingham known as Bank top, This may be one of those units that never applied for or were accepted by TF . Kevin

Where are these areas in Manchester?

regards

ANGLE IRON 08-07-14 06:35 AM

If you google Bank top area Manchester you can find the odd reference to it but not current Manchester. It is mentioned as around pump street,and picadily rd, But from the few searches I did it seems that there were a few Bank top areas around England.

badjez 09-07-14 11:03 AM

Bank Top Cadets

The reference I made to Manchester is from Keith Rawling's booklet.

I have checked the cadet List for 1939 and cannot find a Bank Top unit, this list of course does NOT include Junior Division OTC units.

Stephen.

Alan O 09-07-14 01:53 PM

They were not an OTC so that option can be discounted.
Alan