British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Wheat sheaf button? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63569)

Buttonman 09-08-17 06:24 PM

Wheat sheaf button?

1 Attachment(s)
Need help please with identification of this brass button having a wheat sheaf on the front with a plain brass back. Is it connected with Cheshire, or maybe Malaya? The Co-operative Wholesale Society used the symbol on their buttons but with the name & additions.

Thanks,

David.

fougasse1940 09-08-17 06:47 PM

As did the Lothians and Border Horse Yeomanry, but they had different buttons.

Rgds, Thomas.

btns 09-08-17 07:55 PM

A couple of years ago I purchased a card from an old button collection. It had quite a few incorrect identifications.
This button was on the card and listed as "Rangoon Local Forces". It is 19 mm and has no backmark.
Please let me know if you manage to verify its identity.

Buttonman 09-08-17 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 416219)
A couple of years ago I purchased a card from an old button collection. It had quite a few incorrect identifications.
This button was on the card and listed as "Rangoon Local Forces". It is 19 mm and has no backmark.
Please let me know if you manage to verify its identity.

This one is also 19mm. The Kedah Volunteer Force used the wheat sheaf within a wreath on their buttons which is why I tentatively suggested Malaya but that's as far as I've got with this.

btns 10-08-17 06:41 AM

The button to the Rangoon Volunteer Rifles has an identical sheaf and script letters R.V.R. You can find the button on Google, but it is no longer on e-bay.

Cribyn 10-08-17 08:06 AM

Hello David

Rangoon Mounted Rifles is another unit that used a similar sheaf (is it rice though, not wheat?) but they had 'RMR' below the sheaf. Again the South Andaman Volunteer Rifles used a sheaf over 'SAVR'.

I have seen similar buttons to yours, also without any initials, ascribed to various units but I do not believe that they were military.

Wheat sheaves featured on several livery buttons, so that is also a possibility.

Roger

Check out this link for livery buttons with wheat sheaves https://sites.google.com/site/livery...ied/home/wheat

Peter Brydon 10-08-17 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By one of those coincidences that happen I bought the cloth badge in the attached photo at a table top sale this morning.

I think it is either a Cheshire based Sports club or,based on the background colour,a Cheshire Special Forces badge.

P.B.

Buttonman 10-08-17 10:42 AM

Thank you all for your comments. It looks like the jury is still out on this one but it seems to be more military than livery to me.

All the best David.

Cribyn 10-08-17 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttonman (Post 416259)
Thank you all for your comments. It looks like the jury is still out on this one but it seems to be more military than livery to me.

All the best David.

Hello David

I know the feeling! I have quite a few buttons that I am convinced are military but as yet no proof!

Just out of interest attached is a photo of a 'wheat sheaf' button I have had for years, convinced it is military. By way of comparison also attached is a photo of a Rangoon Volunteer Rifles button, also with wheat or rice sheaf. You can see the similarities, close but no cigar!

Roger

btns 24-08-17 05:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are two badges that came in the same purchase.
I do not know what they are (nor are they of interest to me)
It was an old pre-internet collection with many correct identifications and a few incorrect ones.
I hope they help solve the wheat sheaf button query.
(The Zhob militia operated in what is now Pakistan)

Buttonman 25-08-17 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 417956)
Here are two badges that came in the same purchase.
I do not know what they are (nor are they of interest to me)
It was an old pre-internet collection with many correct identifications and a few incorrect ones.
I hope they help solve the wheat sheaf button query.
(The Zhob militia operated in what is now Pakistan)

Thank you btns,

The shoulder title from what I can find out is Burma Sappers and Miners, happy to be corrected if wrong.

David.