British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders glengarry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61525)

Anjoucollector 25-04-17 08:14 PM

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders glengarry

1 Attachment(s)
This ASH glengarry wears the Royal Regiment of Scotland badge. The one who gave it to me told that after amalgamation, the Regiment received the new cap badge but not the new glengarry, and worn it like that for a short time. And that it was given to him by the storekeeper of the regiment. Does it seem plausible or too good a story ?

Alan O 26-04-17 08:38 AM

That sounds plausible. It took a while for the full RRS uniform to be issued.

Alan

JerryBB 26-04-17 10:11 AM

Obviously it had a different badge on it at some time.

Hard to say with such things when and why the badge was changed and the "story" you were told might be correct.

leigh kitchen 26-04-17 11:23 AM

Presumably an A&SH badge was replaced by the RRS one in this case as the dicing colours wouldn't be worn by other units?
I have a Lowland Bde badged A&SH diced glengarry, out of interest I'll check to see if it has other holes around the badge. It could legitimately have had the A&SH badge on it before and or after the Lowland Bde badge of course.
The trouble with trying to work out the logic behind what badges have been placed on headgear is that sometimes there is no logic, someone just sticks any old badge on.

DJT 18-05-17 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Perfectly plausible as this was indeed the case. The photo attached was taken in August 2006.

PS I wish people would stop incorrectly using RRS when referring to The Royal Regiment of Scotland. The official abbreviation is SCOTS. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjoucollector (Post 402916)
This ASH glengarry wears the Royal Regiment of Scotland badge. The one who gave it to me told that after amalgamation, the Regiment received the new cap badge but not the new glengarry, and worn it like that for a short time. And that it was given to him by the storekeeper of the regiment. Does it seem plausible or too good a story ?

Anjoucollector 18-05-17 05:59 PM

Thank you very much as I like to illustrate my collection with photos of headgears and badges worn 'for real'.

Laurent

Mike H 19-05-17 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJT (Post 405749)
Perfectly plausible as this was indeed the case. The photo attached was taken in August 2006.

PS I wish people would stop incorrectly using RRS when referring to The Royal Regiment of Scotland. The official abbreviation is SCOTS. Thanks!

Full Argyll kit except for the hat badge. Reminds me of when the Highlanders came into being . They hadnt got the new shoulder title so they removed the "QO" from the existing title and wore that (Highlanders) until the new ones were issued. No wonder its really hard to find any QOHighlanders anodised titles.