British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Something different (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57338)

Alex Rice 11-10-16 03:16 PM

Something different

6 Attachment(s)
Hi All
The SA section has been a bit boring lately so I thought I'd share some of my more unusual Southern African buttons. Buttons tend to be overlooked though I'm sure we've all got tons of them tucked away in boxes. I know I tend to just accumulate them without actively collecting them, though I do really like buttons.
Maybe some of you guys can add ones you have?
Cheers,
Alex

Alex Rice 11-10-16 03:19 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Some more.

Alex Rice 11-10-16 03:23 PM

8 Attachment(s)
And some more.

btns 11-10-16 08:02 PM

6 Attachment(s)
and a few more, (1 unknown)

Alex Rice 12-10-16 05:22 AM

Hi Btns
That Kimberley Rifles button is a stunner, quite rare I'd think!
The buck's head one (a Nyala buck I think) is new to me, no idea what that is?
Cheers,
Alex

Madziro 12-10-16 07:55 AM

Some time back I posted an album of the SA buttons in the collection at http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2310

They make a great collection and in much the same way, I do not actively collect them but add to the collection as opportunity has it.

Madziro 12-10-16 07:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Also collect Rhodesian buttons. Have attached some cards of the ones I have for interest.

Alex Rice 12-10-16 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another one I found, Eastern Rifles.

Cribyn 12-10-16 03:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello All

Some fantastic buttons have been posted here, thanks Alex for starting the thread and everyone else for their contribution.

A few more I have just to keep the ball rolling. I don't think they have been shown on this thread before, apologies if they have!

Roger

Cribyn 12-10-16 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just two more, first and second patterns for Prince Alfred's Guard - the first pattern is blackened brass but has lost some of the finish, especially on the highpoints.

Roger

Alex Rice 12-10-16 03:45 PM

Hi Cribyn
Thanks for adding those buttons, the Natal Engineers is a stunner, must be very rare.
Cheers,
Alex

runic1901 13-10-16 02:04 AM

imperial light horse

Hi Btns
I think I've just acquired an Imperial Light Horse button in a lot I bought from an Estate the other day.
Any info on its period of use and approximate value would be appreciated.
I thought it was probably UK when I selected it - I bought about 40 buttons, including mostly shipping line, my main field, apart from Aussie military and civilian.
Regards, Tony

btns 13-10-16 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 378736)
Hi Btns
That Kimberley Rifles button is a stunner, quite rare I'd think!
The buck's head one (a Nyala buck I think) is new to me, no idea what that is?
Cheers,
Alex

Thank you,
No, I do not know what the buck's head button is.
best regards,

Rob Miller 13-10-16 06:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more

Rob

Cribyn 13-10-16 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runic1901 (Post 378867)
Hi Btns
I think I've just acquired an Imperial Light Horse button in a lot I bought from an Estate the other day.
Any info on its period of use and approximate value would be appreciated.
I thought it was probably UK when I selected it - I bought about 40 buttons, including mostly shipping line, my main field, apart from Aussie military and civilian.
Regards, Tony

Hello Tony

The Imperial Light Horse was formed in 1899 for service in the Boer War. It existed in one form or another for a number of years, until the 1960s I believe when it became the Light Horse Regiment. I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable South African members will correct me if I'm wrong.

Whether successor units continued to use the same insignia I do not know but the buttons do turn up quite regularly and I would not consider them at all rare. They turn up on places like ebay quite frequently and usually fetch just a few pounds (GBP, that it is).

Regards
Roger