British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   South African Constabulary (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49500)

RAD 10-11-15 07:54 PM

South African Constabulary

1 Attachment(s)
I mostly collect Boer War insignia and here are my SAC titles and pagri badge . Apologies to those who have seen this pic elsewhere on the forum but I posted it in response to another query . .... and even now I see I have posted it in the wrong section ... drat !! I really need to learn my way around this forum !

Phil2M 10-11-15 08:35 PM

Cracking, fantastic badges :)

QSAMIKE 11-11-15 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice badges especially the Canadian Squadron epaulets.....

Cannot tell what the colour of the leather is on the Stetson badge to tell the squadron.....

Looked for a photo of mine with red and one with yellow leather but cannot find it right now..... Here is another picture though.....

Mike

RAD 11-11-15 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSAMIKE (Post 330822)

Cannot tell what the colour of the leather is on the Stetson badge to tell the squadron.....

Looked for a photo of mine with red and one with yellow leather but cannot find it right now..... Here is another picture though.....

Mike

Thank you Mike ... the leather is either very dark blue or green or black ... not much help sorry. That is a very comprehensive collection you have , nice.

Traist 11-11-15 10:16 AM

Hi Mike, if you ever get bored with your badge for Gallantry, I know of a good home for it :D . My great grandfather was awarded one, but all his stuff went missing. Nice collection you have. Regards Andrew

POL_AIR_1 30-11-15 11:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Sorry to rehash an old thread, but thought I would also post my SAC items here.

My great-grandfather removed the lugs from the back of his badge for gallantry so that he could mount it in-line with the rest of his medals. I also included his Transvaal prison badge for his time when he stayed on after the Boer War.

The SAC badges are just ones that I have come across online (no idea whether real or fake, but for the purpose of my display it doesn't phase me).

It took 5 years of searching, and 5 years of unsuccessfully trying to purchase the medals from a private collector, but I was fortunate to be reunited with these medals in February 2015.

Unfortunately the green felt/material on the badge has worn away a little bit, but I was very lucky that the bullion patch was still present.

Regards,
Matt

Phil2M 30-11-15 11:49 AM

Matt, its great to see that you have got the medals at last, thats great news :D

QSAMIKE 30-11-15 02:27 PM

Good Morning Matt......

There is no need to apologize about rehashing the subject..... That is an absolutely fantastic family set of items and thank god you got the family medals back......

Mike

Frank Kelley 08-01-16 07:44 AM

His stuff "went missing" was it merely thrown away or was it misappropriated?:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 330851)
Hi Mike, if you ever get bored with your badge for Gallantry, I know of a good home for it :D . My great grandfather was awarded one, but all his stuff went missing. Nice collection you have. Regards Andrew

Traist 08-01-16 10:41 AM

Hi Frank, nobody knows for sure. My cousin has his miniature medals which he received from my Grandfathers sister. No one knows what happened to the rest. It is a shame. Regards Andrew

Frank Kelley 10-01-16 09:18 AM

Hello Andrew,
Either way, it is indeed, a great shame.
Regards Frank

Frank Kelley 12-01-16 03:34 PM

"Canadian Squadron" please explain?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSAMIKE (Post 330822)

Mike

QSAMIKE 12-01-16 06:17 PM

Hi Frank.....

There were 5 Squadrons as you know.....

"A" Division - Western Transvaal - White Epaulette Edging and Badge Backing

"B" Division - Northern Transvaal - Light Green Epaulette Edging and Badge Backing

"C" Division - Eastern Transvaal - Light Blue Epaulette Edging and Badge Backing

"E" Division - Orange River Colony / Orange Free State - Deep Yellow Epaulette Edging and Badge Backing

Headquarters - Red Epaulette Edging and Badge Backing

According to the book No Colours No Drums, the majority of Canadians served in "E" Division which was nicknamed the Canadian Division..... Canadians did serve in all the Divisions and Headquarters but mostly in "E".....

Mike

Frank Kelley 12-01-16 06:37 PM

Hello Mike,
It was your use of the phase Canadian Squadron that made me somewhat puzzled, from inception, the Constabulary was organised into some twenty Troops of one hundred men, in each Division, whilst I do know that there were certainly some, solely "Canadian" Troops, those made up of Canadian nationals, actually from Canada, in particular, in B Division.
As far as I am aware there were no Divisions that were completely Canadian at any particular point in the existence of the Constabulary.
Regards Frank