British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   RAF Insignia Catalogue (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63926)

Postwarden 26-08-17 10:14 AM

RAF Insignia Catalogue

Does anyone have a copy of An Illustrated Catalogue of Air Force Insignia compiled from 1969 by Margaret Nobbs and Charles Thomas?

I'm fortunate to own a photocopy but am missing a few pages which I would like to obtain.

Thanks.

Jo

blueboy684 26-08-17 04:59 PM

I Have

What pages are you missing???

fougasse1940 26-08-17 10:12 PM

This is the first time I've come across this publication, and I'd love to get a complete copy of it. Probably unobtainable, right?

Rgds, Thomas.

Mike B 27-08-17 11:33 AM

Likewise (as Thomas) - sounds like a must have but difficult to obtain publication.
Any guidance on what to look for would be much appreciated eg
How many pages, images of cover etc would be gratefully received
Regards and thanks
Mike

Postwarden 27-08-17 01:52 PM

As far as I now it was a private circulation, subscription only venture and consisted of typewritten pages with line drawings. The copy I saw was in a normal lever arch file as I suspect it never had a more elaborate cover as it was more in the way of research notes than a proper book.

Jon

leigh kitchen 27-08-17 02:24 PM

The notes & research for this or a copy of the work itself (easy to mistake the "finished" work for research notes by the sound of it) were sold some months ago, I can't remember which dealer was involved or whether it was via eBay.
I had an interest but too many irons in the fire to purchase.

Mike B 27-08-17 02:43 PM

Many thanks Jon and Leigh for the clarification. I can imagine it was well done, given the two authors concerned and their respected reputations
Regards
Mike

54Bty 27-08-17 04:19 PM

A ring bound 100 page copy was, may still be available on ABE books for around £25 plus postage.

Marc

Mike B 27-08-17 05:12 PM

Marc
Many thanks - appears to have gone but much appreciated
I think I have located a copy - fingers crossed
Mike

RCAF_Mike 27-08-17 08:42 PM

Was Nobbs' Notes ever completed? If so I am missing some sections. I never saw the section on the Ferry and Transport Commands, aircrew wings, and a few others. The sections were lettered A-Z.

blueboy684 27-08-17 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAF_Mike (Post 418381)
Was Nobbs' Notes ever completed? If so I am missing some sections. I never saw the section on the Ferry and Transport Commands, aircrew wings, and a few others. The sections were lettered A-Z.

I am missing Section E completely (not sure it was issued) and I/1, I/2, I/3 so if anyone is able to help, I would be grateful!!

Mike B 29-08-17 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 418352)
Marc
Many thanks - appears to have gone but much appreciated
I think I have located a copy - fingers crossed
Mike

Sods law - the dealer tells me they can not locate it and believe their copy was stolen ...
The search continues
Mike

leigh kitchen 29-08-17 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 418576)
Sods law - the dealer tells me they can not locate it and believe their copy was stolen ...
The search continues
Mike

Hmmmm - a higher offer?

Mike B 29-08-17 07:11 PM

Leigh - sadly we may never know, but good to see copies are still out there ...

Mike

fougasse1940 29-08-17 07:22 PM

Same luck here, I seemed to have found a copy on AddAll, a search engine combining all book sites worldwide, but when I clicked on the link the page couldn't be found.

Rgds, Thomas.