British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Radio Operator half wing (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63710)

appie_b 17-08-17 11:22 AM

Radio Operator half wing

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I would welcome any opinions on the radio operator half wing, it appears to be genuine but I am a bit worried about the lettering, which seems a bit off.

Regards,

Albert.

Frank Kelley 17-08-17 12:31 PM

It is an original example of the "Observer Radio" brevet, so called, after July 1941, very nice.

appie_b 17-08-17 07:43 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the thumbs up, much appreciated.

Am I correct in understanding that this batch was short lived, instated in 1941 and replaced by the Navigator half wing in 1942 ?

regards,

Albert.

Postwarden 18-08-17 12:52 PM

Have a look at this post for more details

Jon

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ght=radio+wing

appie_b 18-08-17 01:11 PM

Jon,

Thanks for the link.

From this thread I take it that the badge was not replaced by the Navigator wing in 1942 and was still worn at least in 1943.

Regards,

Albert

Postwarden 18-08-17 02:44 PM

I would think that any who qualified for the original badge would have kept it and only the newly-qualified would have worn the new pattern.

Jon

Frank Kelley 19-08-17 03:12 PM

Hello Albert,
I tend to be very circumspect with this sort of thing, I'd much rather go with evidence that came first hand, from those who were actually there, as opposed to those who were not, you will often hear the various stories, that the brevet is rare, it was not popular and was short lived and so forth, but, I certainly do not think that was universal, nor do I think the brevets are remotely scarce, a great many were both made and worn, during the war and afterwards, both on SD and MD.
Notwithstanding, I do like your example and they are not something that turns up every day, I would be very pleased with that if I were you.
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by appie_b (Post 417102)
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the thumbs up, much appreciated.

Am I correct in understanding that this batch was short lived, instated in 1941 and replaced by the Navigator half wing in 1942 ?

regards,

Albert.

appie_b 21-08-17 02:51 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks, I am happy with it, I was after one for some time and they do not turn up very often.

Regards,

Albert.

grumpy 21-08-17 09:12 PM

here is a thought: surely the badge is a wing, not a half wing? The pilots badge is a pair of wings.

Frank Kelley 22-08-17 04:17 PM

I suppose it is a "Wing" but I think the word, Brevet, or simply, Badge, is appropriate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 417598)
here is a thought: surely the badge is a wing, not a half wing? The pilots badge is a pair of wings.

54Bty 22-08-17 07:05 PM

RAF Dress Regulations call them all 'Flying Badges'.

Marc

Frank Kelley 23-08-17 07:17 AM

Hello Albert,
To be quite honest, it is not a badge that I have ever felt the need to rush out and buy, but, why the interest, did you want an example because it is just part of the set of aircrew brevet, or, is it more to do with what the men who wore them were actually doing, the early airborne interception and so forth?
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by appie_b (Post 417541)
Hi Frank,

Thanks, I am happy with it, I was after one for some time and they do not turn up very often.

Regards,

Albert.

Frank Kelley 23-08-17 12:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Albert,
Attached for your own interest are a selection, the three examples on the right hand side and the Mess Dress example, were all worn by the same gentleman, who, by the end of the war, was a Flight Lieutenant Navigator in the LNSF which from it's inception was part of Number 8 Group, Bomber Command.
He had actually started his wartime flying career as an LAC "occasional" Air Gunner in Fighter Command in 1939, after the Battle of Britain, his squadron converted to the Night Fighter/Night Intruder roll, with AI and earned his brevet that way, he continued to wear them throughout the war.
By the time the LNSF had been formed, he found himself doing work which was certainly not all that different, no AI, but, H2S as well as Oboe.
Whilst it is certainly true that Mess Dress had not "completely" died during the war, it was rather "scaled down" a little.
Regards again Frank

wardog 23-08-17 04:24 PM

I had not heard of the Light Night Striking Force though I knew about Mosquitoes hunting German night fighters over their airfields- so thanks for causing me to google LNSF. Regards, Paul.

Frank Kelley 26-08-17 02:49 PM

Hello Paul,
Well, the LNSF did not really have anything to do with that, it was Fighter Command who were originally asked for their assistance by C in C Bomber Command.
It was not until Addison's Number 100 Group was formed that matters really improved, Harris was then able to have complete control of the Intruder/Serrate business and it all happened in a very short space of time indeed, doubtless, most memorable days for those who were actually there to bare witness to them.
Very exceptional people, they were truly magnificent.
Regards Frank