British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry and Armoured Units (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23101)

ken walker 21-02-12 11:00 PM

31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse

hi i'm new to this site and need some help getting info i am looking for any info on the 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse)
this is the regiment my grandfather serverd in. unfortunately he didn't say to much at all of his time in the service all i know is he was sent to england at the end of the war. for prisoner handling and bomb disposal

Bill A 21-02-12 11:17 PM

Hello Ken, What is it you are looking for?
To start, the 31st was actually made up of both the 19th Alberta Dragoons and the 15th Light Horse. The regiment was the recce battalion for Pacific Command.

ken walker 21-02-12 11:39 PM

well all i really know of his service time is he started with the essex regiment tank then he was sent out west where he was posted to 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse) i have a few things that he had from his uniform like some felt patches and buttons i also have a pillow cover from essex regiment and my aunt is going to try and copy some pics of him in his uniform as far as any medals i had to fill out all the paper work and have my get my grandmother sign them so i could get his service medal i think he might be entitled to one more for going over seas but not 100% sure i would like to find someone that might still be alive with pics of him while in the service his full name is neil henry walker his service number is A606542 i would like to get a cap badge from his regiment i am trying to find out exactly what it would look like.

Bill A 22-02-12 12:12 AM

Hello Ken, From what you have said, he would have had cap badges for the Essex Regt (Tank) and the 15th Alberta Light Horse. On the top right corner of this web page you will see a link to the Canadian Post 1920 gallery of badges. Have a look through them and you will find images of both of those badges. Note: The Essex Regt Tank has been reproduced and there are fakes out there.
Can you put up images of the patches?

ken walker 22-02-12 12:50 AM

thank you i did get a cap badge off ebay for essex regiment and i was woundering if it was fake it looks very clean for the age that it should be now i just have to find one from salh i will get a pic on here as soon as i can it won't be much they are just plain patches green diamonds and a few grey strips of felt. i was in the E&K i wish he would have still been around then. thanks again for your help

iaindh 22-02-12 12:09 PM

Alberta in South Africa?

I'm sorry guys, you Canadians seem to have lost your way, this is South Africa; the snow will melt off your badges!

regards,

Iain

It was promptly moved! :D

Bill A 22-02-12 01:41 PM

Had to get out of the heat... sunstroke you know..

iaindh 22-02-12 03:14 PM

At first I thought maybe a Boer war connection:confused:

I didnt want to mention the fact this was a reconnaissance regiment;)

Bill A 22-02-12 03:38 PM

Canadians do get cabin fever... pretty bad sometimes. The only cure is a shot of spring or summer...and winter is dragging on...

sarge5020 23-02-12 02:40 AM

Ken, I would be very interested in a photo of the Essex Tank pillow cover. Do you still live in the Windsor area

Cheers,
John

ken walker 24-02-12 04:02 PM

pillow cover

hi sarge yes i do in amherstburg it is in perfect condition i think when my grandfather got it he put it away because i never new of it until my aunt gave it to me after my grandmother passed away last year.

sarge5020 25-02-12 02:39 AM

I live in the west end of Windsor.
I collect Essex Tank, Windsor Regiment and Canadian Armoured Corps items. I'd like to photograph your pillow cover and some of the other items. Please send me a private message and we can discuss it further.

Cheers,
John

sarge5020 03-03-12 03:46 PM

Ken, your Grandfather was brought on strength of the Essex Tank on 18 July, 1942. His name and service number appear on page 255 of the book "Black Beret - A History of the Windsor Regiment (RCAC) 1936-2006" by McNorgan and Lock. If you're intereted, the Windsor Regiment kit shop sells the book. They parade on Thursday evening atthe Armourie on Sandwich Street in Windsor.

Cheers,
John

Bill A 03-03-12 04:01 PM

Hi John, Do you have contact info for the Kit Shop?
Eg email / phone?

sarge5020 03-03-12 04:05 PM

You can call the unit at 519-255-2535 which is the garrison orderly room. They can direct your call. Best to try on a Thursday evening as the guys that run th ekit shop will be there then.