British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   3 More for the Natal Carbineer collection (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40493)

Brian Conyngham 10-07-14 06:07 PM

3 More for the Natal Carbineer collection

7 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Sorry been very quiet of late, hitting the "coalface" with little time for much else.

However today I went out on a rare day off and spoilt myself. Added 3 more cap and slouch hat badges to my growing Natal Carbineer collection.

A beautiful silver cast badge marked Birmingham 1906 made by W.M. Dowler & sons (Military Ornament Makers). The second one a nice Victorian Slouch Badge and the third an old bi-metal converted into a brooch.

Enjoy.

Brian

iaindh 11-07-14 07:25 PM

Hi Brian,

dont you want to come to Jo'burg and visit me; pls bring your new items with you.......

kind regards Iain

Roy 11-07-14 07:32 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing these beautiful examples. Love the hallmarked one.:D

Cheers, Roy.

Brian Conyngham 11-07-14 08:00 PM

Thanks guys for the comments.......

Had little to smile about lately but these have restored some hope, thought all the good stuff had been taken!

Iain send me a want list and I can see what we can find. I might be coming up to JHB before the end of the year, if not early in New Year.

Brian

iaindh 12-07-14 02:31 PM

Hi Brian,

I was just joking but thanks for the offer but if you ever come across a NC KC helmet plate, O 356 please let me know.

Very, very nice finds incidentally.

Give me a shout when you are up in Jo'burg and we must meet up.

Iain

manchesters 12-07-14 10:02 PM

Brian,

Some lovely badges there, particularly the HM Silver one.

Well found!

regards

natal01 13-07-14 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This Natal Carbineer "funny"turned up a week or so ago.
Its a gilded white metal version of the Victorian slouch hat badge. It is well made with a sturdy pin. Why was it made ? Maybe some officer thought taht he deserved it ?
Any thoughts ?
Regards
Mike

Milmed 13-07-14 02:46 PM

Looks like a conversion to a sweetheart brooch.

natal01 13-07-14 03:48 PM

It may be a sweetheart, but it is a casting rather than a die-struck badge, so probably not a conversion.
Regards
Mike

Brian Conyngham 14-07-14 01:40 PM

Mike

A very nice example.

Brian

Frank Kelley 14-07-14 08:25 PM

Hello Brian,
Very nice, the older pieces only seldom turn up these days and are now quite scare, the William Dowler forage cap badge is nice in particular, they were retailed by Messr's Hobson, not easy things to find these days.
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 269278)
Hi Guys

Sorry been very quiet of late, hitting the "coalface" with little time for much else.

However today I went out on a rare day off and spoilt myself. Added 3 more cap and slouch hat badges to my growing Natal Carbineer collection.

A beautiful silver cast badge marked Birmingham 1902 made by W.M. Dowler & sons (Military Ornament Makers). The second one a nice Victorian Slouch Badge and the third an old bi-metal converted into a brooch.

Enjoy.

Brian

Brian Conyngham 15-07-14 12:08 PM

Frank

Thanks for the info, Forage cap it is.

I now have 15 variations of this particular badge.

Regards
Brian

Frank Kelley 19-07-14 04:58 PM

Hello Brian,
Well, I like all carbineers badges, the old ones really are always nice to see, they certainly don't grow on trees.
I have to say that I do prefer the Border Mounted Rifles, they never had the same sort of numbers as far as the establishment went, nor too, did they have the publicity that the carbineers had, but, then, of course, they never sort it either!
Regards Frank

Brian Conyngham 19-07-14 07:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Frank

BMR with amalgamations went on to become the NMR whom I rate just behind the NFA in my books. At high school our cadet corps were affiliated to the NMR and I have a number of interesting NMR medal groups, hence my leaning in that direction.

Brett of course being an "Estcourt boy" (I hope he does not take exception to this term?) leans towards the Carbineers and he has an impressive collection to back up it up.

Each to his own however NC badges are very nice and as one of the few VC units in the country have a huge following as far as collectors go.

I do surpose it is the same in all countries with collectors living in a region leaning towards the "local" badges.

Attachments just for you!

Regards
Brian

Frank Kelley 20-07-14 11:26 AM

Hello Brian,
Again, very nice indeed, have you got any Victorian examples, I've never understood why they were so hard to find, even in South Africa, I put it down to the numbers being ordered just being less I suppose.
Regards Frank