British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Uniform Identification Help Appreciated (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64798)

Dougallg 13-10-17 10:51 PM

Uniform Identification Help Appreciated

Hello! I am coming to you for your combined knowledge and insights. I have done a fair bit of my own research in Canada and the UK but have hit a dead end and hope someone else may now be able to help.

These two brothers had the photo below taken around 1916/17 in either Canada or UK. I have the attestation papers for the gentleman on the left indicating he joined the Canadian Army. I can find no such papers for the seated gentleman. I do know that he served in the Glasgow Highlanders in the first decade of the twentieth century before immigrating to Canada with his brother in 1912. I wonder if he joined a British regiment in 1917, although I can not see his name in any list of of men who joined the Highlanders. So my question is - can anyone identify either of these uniforms? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to help!

Image link: https://ibb.co/dJEYbG

Bill A 14-10-17 11:50 AM

Hello Dougallg, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Your image needs to be added to the post.

manchesters 14-10-17 02:19 PM

Hello,

Both are Canadian uniforms. The seated one is a Canadian Scottish Infantry Battalion. You should get the number of his Bn. from the collar badge which is a C over a number.

Both have overseas service chevrons on lower right arms and the seated soldier has a would stripe, so i would date the photo to the end of the war 1918 - 1919.

the standing man also appears to have a MM ribbon.

A Canadian collector will be able to ID the seated soldier for you.

regards

Bill A 14-10-17 03:43 PM

Could you do close ups of their collars and caps please?

Dougallg 14-10-17 03:59 PM

I will check with my cousin who has the original photo. This scan is all I have and enlarging it or sharpening it provides no additional detail. I shall return!

Dougallg 14-10-17 04:28 PM

Thanks for all this - I now know a great deal more than I did yesterday. I had no idea about the stripes. An mm stripe is a awarded to a unit rather than an individual? Thanks for the note on the wound stripe as well. I am looking for a better image to show the badge detail now. Thanks once again!

peter monahan 15-10-17 02:05 PM

It is interesting that neither is wearing his puttees!

Bill A 15-10-17 02:32 PM

Peter, the standing fellow has puttees, and they are wound for mounted troops. Note the riding style breeches. It also appears that the standing solider has a formation sign with something additional sewn on above.

Blackadder1916 15-10-17 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougallg (Post 424301)
. . . An mm stripe is a awarded to a unit rather than an individual? . . .

MM = Military Medal

Possibly the ribbon worn above the left breast pocket of the standing soldier. It was awarded to individuals for "bravery in the field".

Hoot 15-10-17 05:51 PM

The seated soldier appears to be 16th CEF, British Columbia Scottish.

cavalryman 15-10-17 06:16 PM

Hi Dougall, It looks like the seated soldier is a sargeant wearing 3 x stripes on his right arm. regards John

peter monahan 16-10-17 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 424424)
Peter, the standing fellow has puttees, and they are wound for mounted troops. Note the riding style breeches. It also appears that the standing solider has a formation sign with something additional sewn on above.

These aged eyes! :(

Dougallg 17-10-17 02:28 PM

A larger photo

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied! Here is the largest image I was able to get of the two uniforms - it is just a postcard :)

Picture link:

http://ibb.co/nv70RR

peter monahan 18-10-17 12:41 PM

In an attempt to redeem myself [and my aging eyes]: I agree that the collar dogs read 'C' over '16' for the BC Scottish. The regiment was raised at Valcartier in the fall of 1914 and served until the end of the war, so the two may be friends or brothers who served, in different units, and survived. The mounted style puttees - thanks again, Bill, might be cavalry - we had a few even in 1919 - or field artillery or some other mounted / working with horses unit.

Bill A 18-10-17 01:26 PM

Thanks for the better image. The identification of the seated sergeant is correct. He is from the 16th Bn, Canadian Scottish. Unfortunately, there isn't enough detail in the image to id the badges of the standing soldier. He has the ribbon of the Military Medal on his breast. He also wears what appears to be battle patches on his sleeve with an additional sewn title over the battle patch. One bn which did this was the 46th Bn. (Even in infantry bn's some personnel were drivers / or mounted personnel.)