British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Which Regiments, please? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64258)

Drew 12-09-17 12:30 PM

Which Regiments, please?

4 Attachment(s)
I think we have Royal Fusiliers and at least one other regiment in the attached photograph. Can anyone ID any badges or pagri flashes, please?

I have seen a description of the 2/3rd London Regiment at the IWM here, but I wondered if there were any other possibilities.

Many thanks,

Chris

leigh kitchen 12-09-17 02:34 PM

Is the officer standing left wearing trews, possibly the one sitting left?

Paul Spellman 12-09-17 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 420244)
Is the officer standing left wearing trews, possibly the one sitting left?

That's the famous Desert Tartan Shadow:D
Paul

leigh kitchen 12-09-17 05:15 PM

Ah yes - presumably that stick next to his leg is a desert clock.

Phil2M 12-09-17 10:14 PM

The Pagri flash appears to be a two tone square, divided diagonally.

Drew 13-09-17 04:31 AM

Many thanks to everyone for their comments. I have looked at all the regular battalions of the Royal Fusiliers and there is only one which had a similar sounding patch / flash.

2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Interestingly, they were in the same Division as the 2/3rd Londons at Gallipoli. I wonder if there was some conscious mimicry on the part of the 2/3rd Londons. The 2nd Bn. RF patch is described as worn centrally on the back in Infantry Divisions, Identification Schemes, 1917, By Mike Hibberd

Given the descriptions, I think it seems more likely to be the 2/3rd Londons.

Did the London Regt. RF officers wear a small 'T' on the lapel? I don't remember seeing it in pictures.

Jelly Terror 13-09-17 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 420306)
Many thanks to everyone for their comments. I have looked at all the regular battalions of the Royal Fusiliers and there is only one which had a similar sounding patch / flash.

2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Interestingly, they were in the same Division as the 2/3rd Londons at Gallipoli. I wonder if there was some conscious mimicry on the part of the 2/3rd Londons. The 2nd Bn. RF patch is described as worn centrally on the back in Infantry Divisions, Identification Schemes, 1917, By Mike Hibberd

Given the descriptions, I think it seems more likely to be the 2/3rd Londons.

Did the London Regt. RF officers wear a small 'T' on the lapel? I don't remember seeing it in pictures.

Chris,

You can just about make out the 'T' in this picture:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=129675

Cheers,

JT

Drew 13-09-17 05:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hopefully some clearer close-ups.

I hope that is not a thin coloured line in the middle of the diagonally bisected square... because that'll ruin all my theories. :(

Drew 13-09-17 05:36 AM

Thanks, JT. You're right, you can. That is food for thought. I'd better start searching for some more pictures.

Many thanks for that.

Chris

Drew 13-09-17 06:52 AM

I have found some photos which perhaps show that the London Rgt RF did not always wear the small 'T':

LIEUTENANT WILLIAM HAMO VERNON, 4 BATTALION, LONDON REGIMENT (ROYAL FUSILIERS)

2 LIEUTENANT A G SHARP, 4 (CITY OF LONDON) BATTALION, LONDON REGIMENT (ROYAL FUSILIERS)

LIEUTENANT CECIL GEORGE OPPITZ, 3 BATTALION, LONDON REGIMENT (ROYAL FUSILIERS)

Captain William Norman Towse

Drew 13-09-17 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That said, what do you reckon to this?

Thanks again to JT for his example as it prompted me to look harder.

Drew 17-09-17 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just for comparison, the 1/2nd Londons in Malta, 1914. From 2nd City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) in the Great War, 1914-19, By Major W. E. Grey

"Small red and black rectangle vertically bisected
History note
Worn as helmet patch"
1/2nd Battalion London Regiment Battalion patch, IWM

Jelly Terror 17-09-17 11:52 PM

Chris,

If it helps, here is another RF officer with 'T' collar badge just visible:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=144533

Regards,

JT

Drew 18-09-17 12:10 AM

That's very helpful indeed, thanks very much.

I don't know if it means anything, but many of the pictures I have seen recently seem to show the 'T' worn in conjunction with a smaller type of fusilier grenade (though not in JT's first example, I don't think). Where an officer is wearing the larger type of grenade, the 'T' often seems to be absent. Perhaps that might be an indicator in photographs?

I had better try and look for some more examples.

Cheers,

Chris

Jelly Terror 18-09-17 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 420948)
That's very helpful indeed, thanks very much.

I don't know if it means anything, but many of the pictures I have seen recently seem to show the 'T' worn in conjunction with a smaller type of fusilier grenade (though not in JT's first example, I don't think). Where an officer is wearing the larger type of grenade, the 'T' often seems to be absent. Perhaps that might be an indicator in photographs?

I had better try and look for some more examples.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

The example I sent you (off forum) showing the officer wearing the cap badge-sized grenades in conjunction with the 'T':

Attachment 177996

JT