British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   the suffolk and cambridgeshire regt (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64233)

norfolk regt man 11-09-17 01:59 AM

the suffolk and cambridgeshire regt

hi all, which collar badges would be used when this anodized cap badge was worn

Hoot 11-09-17 09:04 AM

As I recall, it was the Gibraltar castle and key with th arms of Ely on the castle, as the cap badge but minus the crown and title scroll.

badjez 11-09-17 09:47 AM

S&C Regt

Regt wore GM Suffolk Regt collar badges initially.
Later two Coy adopted Suffolk & Norfolk Yeo collar dogs whilst the other two Coy were to wear ano Suffolk Regt. The latter never got into production before the regiment was disbanded.

Stephen.

Mike H 11-09-17 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 420046)
Regt wore GM Suffolk Regt collar badges initially.
Later two Coy adopted Suffolk & Norfolk Yeo collar dogs whilst the other two Coy were to wear ano Suffolk Regt. The latter never got into production before the regiment was disbanded.

Stephen.

Suffolk Rgt collars in anodised exist,but they are a real hens teeth job.
I recall seeing a single on a site a while ago,already sold. Could well have been from Colin Churchills collection.

badjez 11-09-17 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 420050)
Suffolk Rgt collars in anodised exist,but they are a real hens teeth job.
I recall seeing a single on a site a while ago,already sold. Could well have been from Colin Churchills collection.

I'm not denying their existence, just that they were not produced in time for wear by S&C Regt. I suspect the ano collar badges were worn by D (Cambridgeshire) Coy, 6 (V) Bn, Royal Anglian Regt, and the very few men left on the S&C Regt cadre which existed (on paper at least) until 1974.

There is a remote chance that the ano Suffolk Regt collars come from the same source as the ano Suffolk Regt cap badges...or can we attribute both to the ACF?

Stephen.

bess55 12-09-17 03:50 AM

Edwards 6th edition - when discussing 6th (volunteer) Battalion The Royal Anglian Regt - states this regarding D Company:-

'D' (Cambridgeshire) Company is formed by the Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Regiment. This Regiment consisted of two companies provided by the Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry and two by The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Regiment and different collar badges were worn. The Yeomanry ('A' and 'D' companies) wearing those of the Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry and 'B' and 'C' companies the castle and key of Gibraltar in gold anodised.

Note - Edwards 6th edition print dated 1974.

Additionally Colin Churchill reiterates the anodised Suffolk Collar for B and C companies from 1961 - with no evidence they worn by regular Battalions. The anodised Suffolk collars being quoted as sealed in 1964.

Mike H 12-09-17 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 420171)
I'm not denying their existence, just that they were not produced in time for wear by S&C Regt. I suspect the ano collar badges were worn by D (Cambridgeshire) Coy, 6 (V) Bn, Royal Anglian Regt, and the very few men left on the S&C Regt cadre which existed (on paper at least) until 1974.

There is a remote chance that the ano Suffolk Regt collars come from the same source as the ano Suffolk Regt cap badges...or can we attribute both to the ACF?

Stephen.

I dont ever recall coming across a dodgy ano collar,the Suffolk ano cap badge is suspect in my eyes.

Mike H 12-09-17 04:24 AM

Apologies,i need to reactract the first part of my last post. I have seen a dodgy ano collar ,a bag of them. Lincolnshire with the scroll removed to make them look like a large SWB collar. Unfortunately,the backs are different and the lug set in the other direction .

norfolk regt man 12-09-17 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 420174)
Edwards 6th edition - when discussing 6th (volunteer) Battalion The Royal Anglian Regt - states this regarding D Company:-

'D' (Cambridgeshire) Company is formed by the Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Regiment. This Regiment consisted of two companies provided by the Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry and two by The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Regiment and different collar badges were worn. The Yeomanry ('A' and 'D' companies) wearing those of the Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry and 'B' and 'C' companies the castle and key of Gibraltar in gold anodised.

Note - Edwards 6th edition print dated 1974.

Additionally Colin Churchill reiterates the anodised Suffolk Collar for B and C companies from 1961 - with no evidence they worn by regular Battalions. The anodised Suffolk collars being quoted as sealed in 1964.

Thanks bess and all for help me on this, I would how like to buy a pair of the castle and key anodized collars , if any one has some for please contact me.
thanks again

badjez 12-09-17 07:54 AM

S&C Regt

Buy a pair- you're not the only one. I've been looking for years.

Stephen.

Mike H 12-09-17 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 420187)
Buy a pair- you're not the only one. I've been looking for years.

Stephen.

Too right Stephen ,i think the single i saw has been the only one ive ever seen in anodised.

norfolk regt man 14-09-17 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
found this on ebay,

grey_green_acorn 14-09-17 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Formation Badge is post WW2 21st (Northern) Corps Territorial Army

Tim

norfolk regt man 14-09-17 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 420540)
Formation Badge is post WW2 21st (Northern) Corps Territorial Army

Tim

Thanks Tim

badjez 14-09-17 10:30 PM

S&C Regt

Do your research carefully- when was the shoulder title introduced compared against when 21 Corps was disbanded. There is a marked disparity, so unless there is a strange military anomaly at work it does not add up.

Stephen.