British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   N&D Arm Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66544)

Trev H 10-02-18 06:21 PM

N&D Arm Badge

1 Attachment(s)
Fellow forumites.
I am trying, and failing miserably, to identify the badge on the arm of this lance corporal. He is in the 9th Bn, Sherwoods. I know the dark patch is a battalion badge, but the other has me stumped. Any help would really appreciated.

Trev.

Alan O 10-02-18 06:44 PM

Trade badge with a wreath such as lewis gunner?

Trev H 10-02-18 06:46 PM

Alan,
Thanks. I thought LG or some other trade, but I was under the impression that those sort of badges were worn on the forearm? But I’d be happy to be corrected!

Trev

54Bty 10-02-18 08:15 PM

Looks like the letters MG in a wreath of Laurel leaves.

Marc

Trev H 10-02-18 08:21 PM

I did think that, but I was under the impression that “trade” badges were on the forearm? But I dont mind being proved wrong!

Trev

MH331 10-02-18 08:25 PM

Trev,

He is 10th Bn (LCpl Smith if I recall). 9th Bn wore a green rectangle with white Roman IV to the back of the collar.

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev H (Post 435426)
Fellow forumites.
I am trying, and failing miserably, to identify the badge on the arm of this lance corporal. He is in the 9th Bn, Sherwoods. I know the dark patch is a battalion badge, but the other has me stumped. Any help would really appreciated.

Trev.

Alan O 10-02-18 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev H (Post 435443)
I did think that, but I was under the impression that “trade” badges were on the forearm? But I dont mind being proved wrong!

Trev

True but people did odd things!

Trev H 10-02-18 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MH331 (Post 435444)
Trev,

He is 10th Bn (LCpl Smith if I recall). 9th Bn wore a green rectangle with white Roman IV to the back of the collar.

Mark

Mark,

He is indeed. I have his and his brothers plaques.

Trev

grey_green_acorn 10-02-18 08:46 PM

LG in Wreath

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a selection of LG in wreath badges for comparison.

Tim

grey_green_acorn 10-02-18 08:47 PM

MG in Wreath

1 Attachment(s)
MG in wreath

Tim

Trev H 10-02-18 11:17 PM

Cheers Tim.
I did wonder about a MG badge, but dismissed it. Having looked further, it looks like L/Cpl Smith sewed his badge on his upper arm, rather than his forearm.
Many thanks for the help,

Trev

Toby Purcell 13-02-18 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev H (Post 435472)
Cheers Tim.
I did wonder about a MG badge, but dismissed it. Having looked further, it looks like L/Cpl Smith sewed his badge on his upper arm, rather than his forearm.
Many thanks for the help,

Trev

Men qualified as instructors rather than just as handlers wore the badge above their rank stripes (and still do), albeit that this was traditionally intended for sergeants. The exigencies of WW1 and sheer pragmatism led to more junior NCOs becoming qualified as instructors.

Trev H 14-02-18 10:17 PM

Cheers Toby. Sheds new light onto it.

Trev