British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968 post unification: CAF(N) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   RCN Officer Cap badge Post Unification.. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12952)

RonArm 17-10-10 02:48 PM

RCN Officer Cap badge Post Unification..

4 Attachment(s)
I have seen so many different Officers Cap badges what is real and what is fake

Phillip Herring 17-10-10 04:24 PM

The small cloth embroidered badge was worn by non-commissioned ranks on the green beret prior to the new uniforms coming out in the mid 1980s.
The large mylar badge is government issue for CPOs and officers.
The wire embroidered are private purchase.

Phil

RonArm 17-10-10 09:32 PM

Thank you---what gave me some thought was the last two, you can see the red and green jewels in the crown. the last one, #4 is what William Scully is selling as Officer Badge

Phillip Herring 17-10-10 09:46 PM

Should have mentioned this in my previous post. The small thread embroidered badges are now worn by some officers on the beret. OS to MS and PO2 to CPO2 have badge similar to the old RCN PO and CPO badges.

RonArm 19-10-10 11:29 PM

The large mylar badge is government issue for CPOs and officers.
do you know when it was issued?

RonArm 20-10-10 12:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
this is a pic of the beret badge that was issued to me for my black beret, it sure looked like a po's but if you look close, it has a circle of rope and a smaller fouled anchor and the second pic is what the new navy is getting

Gino 20-04-14 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If I can weigh in on the iterations of the naval officers cap badge since Unification. In the green uniform, all naval ops personnel used the style of badge seen in the very first photo posted. Ratings (now known by the Godawful nomenclature of non-commissioned members) wore this in a metal version while all officers were essentially required to purchase a cloth embroidered version pretty much identical to the Scully one (4th), but with a gold anchor. When we returned to blue uniforms, officers kept using the same badge on their white caps, but around 89 a new cloth issue badge was developed using a silver anchor. Many officers opted to continue wearing the old embroidered badge and just painted the anchor silver. Eventually, Scully started making them with a silver anchor. Unfortunately, since that time, most new officers have taken the path of least resistance and opted to wear the pusser issue badge which I will attach to show really what poor quality it is. The 3rd picture in the original post shows the smaller embroidered beret badge that is also sold optionally.

ddaydodger 22-04-14 12:32 AM

If I may way in, almost all post unification badges are green backed, up to 1985 when the forces returned to DEU, then they became black backed. But this is not a hard and fast rule, I have seen private purchase badges both green and black backed. Also the maritime branch was ordered to wear the naval branch badge (metal and enameled) when introduced in 1974. Prior to that many choose to wear their old badges, and still did after the CF badge was introduced, and used a 3rd collar badge as a cap badge on their berets. But CF contract orders state green backed badges for CF, black for DEU.

Gino 22-04-14 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaydodger (Post 259510)
If I may way in, almost all post unification badges are green backed, up to 1985 when the forces returned to DEU, then they became black backed. But this is not a hard and fast rule, I have seen private purchase badges both green and black backed. Also the maritime branch was ordered to wear the naval branch badge (metal and enameled) when introduced in 1974. Prior to that many choose to wear their old badges, and still did after the CF badge was introduced, and used a 3rd collar badge as a cap badge on their berets. But CF contract orders state green backed badges for CF, black for DEU.

The embroidered ones we bought in the early 80s for our green caps definitely had a black backing. I know that as naval reservist 80-81, we wore the single anchor collar dog on our berets, but by the time I started naval training at VENTURE in 83, we were issued with green backed naval ops beret badges just like the one picture in the first post.

RCN 24-04-14 09:58 PM

What pls is DEU?

B

Gino 24-04-14 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCN (Post 259957)
What pls is DEU?

B

Distinctive Environmental Uniform - bureaucratic double talk for having three different uniforms again

ddaydodger 09-09-14 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaydodger (Post 259510)

I stand corrected, I now have CF (not DEU) issued naval badges, both beret and forage cap with black backings, with photographs of them in use. The documentation I had specified green. I had thought that the General Officers cap badge was the only black backed badge issued. I was wrong.