British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Force (RCAF and CAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Trial Air Bomber Full Wing? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59018)

Sapper00 03-01-17 08:55 PM

Trial Air Bomber Full Wing?

2 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year all!

I am going through my collection and am looking for help identifying this badge.
It is WW2 vintage, proper embroidery, backing and manufacture for Canadian Air Force wings but the lettering / designation eludes me.
I know they did a trial Bomb Aimer badge that was not approved, but has anyone heard of an Air Bomber or Air Bombardier full wing?

Attachment 162427

Attachment 162428

Bill A 03-01-17 09:05 PM

Hello Sapper00, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

SAS1 04-01-17 08:21 AM

Several terms were used for several trades and often these badges were made by civilian tailors and sold direct. The case that I always think of was when the new flight engineer trade was introduced in 1942. It was announced in the press with the result that the FE wing began to appear (and a number of photos exist of it being worn) and also an AE (Aero Engineer) wing although I've not seen photos of that in use. The authorised wing was just an E.

The double wing was also never officially authorised but was certainly worn as photos confirm. I've seen AG and WAG and I think AB. Yours is a nice unauthorised wing.

If you want to let it go, let me know!

Sapper00 04-01-17 07:08 PM

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was an unauthorized one or private purchase but the "AB" throws me off. I have seen the documentation for the full wing trial patterns but the Bomb Aimer was always a B or BA. I suppose it could be the bilingual version :D,
Not sure if I will be selling it off or not but I am thinning out so I'm always pen to offers.

Sapper00 04-01-17 08:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few other non-standard wings mixed in.

SAS1 05-01-17 01:29 PM

The terms Bomb Aimer, Air Bomber and Bombardier were all common and officially used by the Commonwealth Air Forces during the war. Bombardier now seems to be more common relating to US airmen and bomb aimer to commonwealth.

Some nice wings there!

Wingnut 06-01-17 10:36 PM

Interesting badge for sure. Common pattern pilot wing with an AB replaced where the RCAF is normally found. Might very well be a prototype. Never seen one before. Some nice wings you have there. Thanks for sharing!

Sapper00 11-01-17 02:55 AM

Thanks, there are some nice wings there but I'm thinking about parting them out soon. If there are any you are interested in, PM me please.

Rob Dekker 11-01-17 03:28 AM

I'm interested in the WWII wings. Message sent.

Wingnut 11-01-17 09:44 PM

Pm sent.

Vuhlkansu 13-01-17 02:03 AM

yep. I am interested =)