British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Cost of replacing pin on a Sweetheart? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64390)

shane bannatyne 20-09-17 01:16 AM

Cost of replacing pin on a Sweetheart?

Hi all.I would like to know if anyone has replaced the pin on a Sweetheart brooch recently and what it costs? I'm considering buying a silver brooch.Only the pin is missing,the catch & hinge are still in place. Thanks Shane

badgecollector 20-09-17 02:25 AM

hi
I use a local guy here in Australia and he does an awesome job. generally $8-10
bc

Bill A 20-09-17 11:04 AM

May I suggest going through the boxes of cheap jewellery at flea markets or antique stores etc, until you find the right size pin. Then it can be used as a replacement.

mike c 20-09-17 11:21 AM

sweetheart pin

Hi there as said above I have often bought brooches at carboots just for the pins great idea

Tanker Mike 20-09-17 02:23 PM

Finding a jeweller that is reasonable is a challenge, I was lucky to find one in my home town, he charges about $10 for a pin and $20 to replace lugs. The only problem is that with enamel sweethearts the enamel may come off or discolor due to the heat from brazing the pin.

54Bty 20-09-17 02:46 PM

A jeweller here in England wanted £40 to remove the complete pin clasp and solder on a new one. All I wanted was the hinge bar removed so that a new needle pin could be inserted, can't do that.

I have yet to find a tool for removing the small hinge bar.

Marc

Tanker Mike 21-09-17 02:22 PM

Marc,

Try looking at a pawn shop that deals with jewelry, they usually have a lead on someone who is able to repair items and not charge so much. An actual jeweler will always try and get premium repair prices.

54Bty 21-09-17 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker Mike (Post 421406)
Marc,

Try looking at a pawn shop that deals with jewelry, they usually have a lead on someone who is able to repair items and not charge so much. An actual jeweler will always try and get premium repair prices.

I am not sure we have the old pawn shops here any more. Most are the 'Cash for your unwanted items' sort of places.

Marc

shane bannatyne 22-09-17 02:49 AM

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks guys for all your replies & help.Sorry about how late mine is.The old jewelry idea sounds like a really good suggestion.It will be useful for another sweetheart I've got that needs a pin.Unfortunately the one I'm considering buying still has the piece of pin broken off stuck inside the hinge,and if your correct 54Bty I'm SOL.It does look like a tough task removing something so small without breaking the whole thing off all together.Anyway,it still may be worth taking on.Thanks again to all of you for your help. Shane

Tanker Mike 22-09-17 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Send it to my shop, Ill grind that sucker off for you, no charge...

Mike

shane bannatyne 26-09-17 01:51 AM

Thanks for the offer Mike.

Hi Mike.I'd send it to you but I'm worried you'll do a hatchet job. Just kidding! Thanks for the offer.If I decide to buy the brooch I may take you up on it. Cheers Shane

dumdum 05-10-17 01:33 AM

Hi

I can help you out if you want. Which country do you live in?