British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2 DG (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35010)

sketchley kid 05-10-13 10:12 AM

2 DG

2 Attachment(s)
Opinions on this please.

GriffMJ 05-10-13 10:13 AM

Interesting Crown....... is it QVC?

sketchley kid 05-10-13 10:24 AM

2dg

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like it, I have a large collection of Bays but not like this one. Seems a genny, well made, with reinforcing wire.

2747andy 05-10-13 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think someone may be "At It"? Could be one of two things, a damaged QVC badge that has had a replacement slider (cannot see any sign of lugs E/W)! Or a repro that some "Doh Ball" has put a slider on (sliders first appeared after Victoria had popped her clogs) and put a piece of copper wire as a strengthener to make it appear original (?) but has gone OTT with the length?

I know which option I'd go for ;)

Andy

2747andy 05-10-13 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchley kid (Post 232064)
It looks like it, I have a large collection of Bays but not like this one. Seems a genny, well made, with reinforcing wire.

It's been messed with!

I'd steer clear!

Andy

GriffMJ 05-10-13 10:37 AM

QVC with a slider?..... I would at least expect to see the remnant stumps of the original loops? Or.... braise stains from where they were?

wright241 05-10-13 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchley kid (Post 232061)
Opinions on this please.

I have one just like it as far as the dead straight strengthening bar at the back goes - except mine is a KC version. The lugs have been replaced and very badly soldered, but the front of the badge is nicely curved, nicely pierced and not at all flat.

sketchley kid 05-10-13 10:48 AM

2DG

Well if this is a repro it's the best I've ever seen....it's the crown that puzzles me, not quite as 'square' as my other VC's but doesn't look like present day QC, the badge is very well made with quality metal,and the crown and bay leaves are defo one piece, the slider does not seem to be a later addition and you can't go by the length of wire, some of them on genuine issued badges are all over the place.
And there is no sign of loops being on...
puzzeling!

GriffMJ 05-10-13 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Could it be an "on the cusp" badge .... "old stock" carried over into 1903 ish and had a slider installed? I am with Andy though.... I would not pay much for it and buy it as a curiosity.

sketchley kid 05-10-13 10:56 AM

2DG

I paid £8-41.

2747andy 05-10-13 10:58 AM

The crown looks a though it has been added to a genuine wreath? I would not splash the cash on it, perhaps a few quid as an example but I'd save my money for something that has not been "Messed with"!

Andy

sketchley kid 05-10-13 11:03 AM

2dg

1 Attachment(s)
This is my original issue, I work from this.

wright241 05-10-13 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchley kid (Post 232074)
Well if this is a repro it's the best I've ever seen....it's the crown that puzzles me, not quite as 'square' as my other VC's but doesn't look like present day QC, the badge is very well made with quality metal,and the crown and bay leaves are defo one piece, the slider does not seem to be a later addition and you can't go by the length of wire, some of them on genuine issued badges are all over the place.
And there is no sign of loops being on...
puzzeling!

Here is the front of the one I have and its very well made. Its really the lugs that let it down. Bit of an oddity really. This originally came from Walter Lambert and may have been from his "oddity" box as well.

3748 Hussar 05-10-13 11:24 AM

Bays

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Sketchley kid,

Maybe its been made to look like one of these , band maybe ????

what size is it

3748 Hussar

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 232076)
Could it be an "on the cusp" badge .... "old stock" carried over into 1903 ish and had a slider installed? I am with Andy though.... I would not pay much for it and buy it as a curiosity.

GriffMJ 05-10-13 11:36 AM

Looking at those..... I think Andy is right on the Crown has been added.