British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Unknown 'MC' brass button (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59332)

Cribyn 17-01-17 12:39 PM

Unknown 'MC' brass button

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all

Is anyone able to identify this small brass button please? It's from my own collection and is not for sale.

It is approx 16mm, design of a King's crown over two crossed swords (of different types) with 'M' and 'C' either side of the swords and a different pattern crown below.

Backmark is not much help, just 'Firmin & Sons Ld', so after 1876.

Normal slightly domed button shape - the photo makes it look a bit flat like a blazer button.

I have been through all my reference books (including Poulsom's seven volumes) but can't find it. First, obvious, thought was that it is 'M...... Cavalry' but it could be 'Club'.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Roger

Rob Miller 17-01-17 01:33 PM

Hi Roger, I hope you get more response than I did.

Rob:)

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=15002

Cribyn 17-01-17 01:49 PM

Hello Rob

Thanks for that! I did have a quick look through the Forum as well but missed that thread!

Hopefully there may be some new members joined in the last 5 years who might have more information!

At least I now know that my button is not unique! I wonder if it is just coincidence that yours is the same size. Perhaps they are cap buttons with a totally different design to the more usual tunic button which is why we can't find any information.

Roger

Rob Miller 17-01-17 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I suppose the crown is similar to the one on this Malaysian badge

Rob

Cribyn 17-01-17 03:47 PM

Hi Rob

Yes, the bottom crown does look Malaysian but all I have on such buttons is an article in 'Button Lines' on 'Military and Police Buttons of Malaysia and Singapore' by Howard Ripley and Denis Darmanin. It illustrates some 66 buttons but 'ours' is not amongst them. It could be the 'cap button problem' again though - a different design to that used on the 'standard' button.

Roger

davidwyke 29-01-17 04:04 PM

Hi Chaps

Interesting button!

It looks to be officer quality and yet the design appears to be very crude - possibly supplied as a "blank" and hand engraved locally?

KC and yet some other strange crown at the bottom.

At first glance I thought it might be one of the Indian Princely State private armies but it's not like any other insignia I've seen before - either Imperial Service troops or state forces. Plus the KC more or less rules that out, although they did very occasionally use a KC.

I think Roger might have it with "Club button".

David

Cribyn 29-01-17 04:54 PM

Hello David

Thanks for your thoughts on this one.

Most unknown military buttons do eventually get identified on this Forum so I must admit that I am now inclining to the idea of a 'club' button. Somewhat disappointing but there we go!

Regards
Roger

GTB 24-02-17 03:53 PM

A long shot, but still....

A Master of Ceremonies button? Possibly the 3-pointed crown and the different crossed swords could be a part of the regalia.

Otherwise, could be anything (Military College, M..... Cadets, M... Company (not the Civil designation).

GTB

Cribyn 24-02-17 03:57 PM

Hello GTB

Many thanks for your thoughts on this one.

On seeing the crown and swords I tend to think "military" but you are right, of course, it could be almost anything!

I live in hope that one day a positive ID will turn up! For now though, back to the "unidentified" box and time to bring out one or two of the others! Watch this space!

Regards
Roger

GTB 24-02-17 04:13 PM

The 3-pointed crown is also known as a 'Society Crown'!

GTB

4966Ian 21-02-18 11:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Just to add to this post, I have also acquired a button with the same design as shown in earlier posts.
However, this is a flat gilt (blazer/mess dress) type button rather than the 'domed' type buttons previously shown.
Diameter = 21.6mm
Backmark = FIRMINS + 108 St MARTINS LANE LONDON +

For an unknown Unit/Organisation it certainly had a lot of different button types.

It is a year on since the last post, so hopefully somebody may now recognise it or the organisation it represents.

Regards

Ian

Phil2M 22-02-18 03:20 AM

Men's Club?

Cribyn 22-02-18 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As Ian has kindly brought this topic to the forefront once more I thought I would post another, similar, mystery button to your attention.

Different obviously but note the similarities - two crowns again (this time a mural crown on top and a naval crown below) and the crossed swords.

This button is 'normal' domed, closed, spun back, tunic type, 26mm and with a backmark of 'Simpson & Son 61(?) South Audley St London'.

I am still inclined towards a club of some description; the swords would suggest a fencing club but any gentlemen's club might be a possibility.

Roger