British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   RAF NURSE TRAINING SCHOOL BADGE/BROACH (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24219)

rockape560 17-04-12 01:06 PM

RAF NURSE TRAINING SCHOOL BADGE/BROACH

2 Attachment(s)
hi all,

got this badge/broach today from a friend.

just wondered if anyone had seen one before and also could this be from raf halton.

may thanks

philip

Veteran44 17-04-12 02:08 PM

RAF NURSE TRAINING SCHOOL BADGE/BROACH

Hi, the badge was worn by trainee nurses on their ward dress (No2D) until graduation to SEN standard. In December 1995 the badge ceased to be worn following the closure of the Royal Air Force nurse training school. Nurse training now takes place at either Portsmouth uni or Royal hospital Heslow on a tri service basis. Info from a book by Malcolm C Hobart.

rockape560 17-04-12 02:14 PM

hi vetern,

many thanks for the info and quick reply.

philip

ORISKANY 17-04-12 05:44 PM

NURSING BADGES

Nice badge, the Army Medical Services wear/wore some badges like this. I understand that there were a total of six such badges 2 for SEN and SEN (Mental) and 2 for SRN and SRN (Mental). The 6 included 2 pewter coloured which were for nurses and dental technicians. Perhaps a kind forum member could post images for all to see. My wife has a small collection but we can't lay our hands on them at this time. They may be in an album somewhere on the forum already. :)

Are they still in use?

Thank you.

dragon166 17-04-12 05:46 PM

The badge is one of two similar items, the other being for the Dental Hygenists. I believe they are/were worn by qualified nurses (not trainees), following graduation, to denote where they were trained. I have seen many similar items from civvy street nursing establishments worn by district nurses etc. Indications of trainee nurses was normally by shoulder strap strips with coloured stripes according to speciality and period of the course; 1st year, 2nd year etc.

crest-insignia 17-04-12 07:25 PM

Very nice Philip

When you are fed up looking at it, I could give it a good home!
T

Milmed 19-04-12 04:21 PM

Army nurse badge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Here is a pic of them all as requested. The pic is not mine and may well belong to someone on this forum. If there is an issue I can post others but it would be individual pics. I do have 5 of these and the RAF one in my own collection. They were fairly cheap a few years ago but have shot up in price dramatically in the past year or so.

The Pewter type badges were worn by trained nurses and dental hygienist pre 1980. The nurses's badge was replaced with the 4 enamel badges in 1980 and as far as I am aware are still in use. The dental hygenist badge was also replaced in 1980 with a left hand RADC collar badge and worn till 1992.

Regards
Steven

ORISKANY 19-04-12 07:13 PM

Steven,

Thank you.

ORISKANY:)

grey_green_acorn 19-04-12 08:50 PM

The picture and the badges belong to me, but it is in this album so no issue!

Regards

Tim

ORISKANY 20-04-12 01:05 PM

Thank you Tim.

ORISKANY

jermil 26-04-12 02:46 PM

A few extra military nurses badges

7 Attachment(s)
Here are a few not already illustrated.
Portsmouth District & Royal Naval School of Nursing
Royal Naval School of Nursing (x3)
Royal Defence Medical College
Army School of Radiography
Defence Dental Agency Dental Hygienist

I haven't got the bottom one, If any one can assist !!!

Regards
jermil

Bema 22-02-18 09:56 AM

Army School of Radiography

As an ex student - qualified there in 1978....looking to source a badge - any sellers?

SAS1 25-02-18 03:58 PM

Try Sally Bosley Badges. She has some of these.

Bema 03-04-18 09:21 AM

Hi Jermil - trying to get an ‘Army School of Radiography ‘ badge - as per the one in your collection - any ideas on where and how I could get one?