British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   what do we think good bad or ugly kings liverpool regiment 10th scottish bn (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60996)

life boys 02-04-17 09:28 AM

what do we think good bad or ugly kings liverpool regiment 10th scottish bn

7 Attachment(s)
what do we think good or bad kings liverpool regiment 10th scottish battalion i got it at auction it has a j r gaunt tab it looks right and fills right it looks like silver but i can not find any marks the the makers tab is in the same white metal and is a bit rubbed the tab that is not the badge there is no rubbing to the badge showing a bass metal could it be silver plate and in excellent condition it was sold has original please let me know your thoughts on this

manchesters 02-04-17 09:41 AM

You have already posted this thread already?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=60908

life boys 02-04-17 10:01 AM

i do know this but i was wondering if there was anyone else on the forum its not old timers or is it

manchesters 02-04-17 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life boys (Post 399749)
i do know this but i was wondering if there was anyone else on the forum its not old timers or is it

I am sorry, but I dont understand what you have written.
Could you try again please.

regards

life boys 02-04-17 10:12 AM

thanks you made my day i do love a chuckle in the morrning its not afternoon yet is it?

49lassiepen 02-04-17 12:19 PM

Like Simon I don't understand you
David

grenadierguardsman 02-04-17 01:37 PM

Don't understand either !!!!!
Andy

Frank Kelley 02-04-17 02:36 PM

Certainly not one that I would want to buy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by life boys (Post 399747)
what do we think good or bad kings liverpool regiment 10th scottish battalion i got it at auction it has a j r gaunt tab it looks right and fills right it looks like silver but i can not find any marks the the makers tab is in the same white metal and is a bit rubbed the tab that is not the badge there is no rubbing to the badge showing a bass metal could it be silver plate and in excellent condition it was sold has original please let me know your thoughts on this

mojob123 05-04-17 10:09 PM

Can anyone confirm that this badge (in the op) has a 'closed' wreath and is therefore a sporran badge not a glengarry badge? Regardless of authenticity? Best regards, Mike

Paul Spellman 05-04-17 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojob123 (Post 400343)
Can anyone confirm that this badge (in the op) has a 'closed' wreath and is therefore a sporran badge not a glengarry badge? Regardless of authenticity? Best regards, Mike

Mike,
The wreath in the OP does look closed to me and I have a similar chromed badge which I am sure is a sporran badge. I show it on the right next to the slightly smaller cast sporran badge and a glengarry badge on the left to show the open wreath. An Image of the rear of mine showing Gaunt tab to follow

Paul Spellman 05-04-17 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear of similar badge with Gaunt tab

mojob123 05-04-17 10:46 PM

Hi Paul. Thanks for replying. I ask because because I too have a closed wreath badge very similar to yours and the badge in the op, but mine (which has a Gaunt plate in the middle, like the op badge) has not been replated, ie the lugs and Gaunt plate are still brass/copper. I had read that a Gaunt plate was correct for a sporran badge but not for an open wreath (ie glengarry) badge? Will try and post pics tomorrow. Best regards, Mike

wardog 05-04-17 11:46 PM

Can someone inform me please what makes a closed or open wreath with regards to a Liverpool Scottish badge. Just not seeing it. Regards, Paul.
Ah- is it on the larger badge the crossing of the 'stalks' at the bottom of the badge is all that makes the join- and that is 'open'?

Paul Spellman 06-04-17 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardog (Post 400348)
Can someone inform me please what makes a closed or open wreath with regards to a Liverpool Scottish badge. Just not seeing it. Regards, Paul.
Ah- is it on the larger badge the crossing of the 'stalks' at the bottom of the badge is all that makes the join- and that is 'open'?

Paul, yes you have it
Paul

mojob123 06-04-17 04:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mine. Only recently acquired. Clearly Paul's, Life Boy's and this one are all from the same 'pod', with the same construction - the horse and scroll being attached via 3 pins to the back plate - 2 on the lower legs of the saltire behind the 'King's' scroll and one in the centre behind the horse's body (visible on the back of mine, just above the Gaunt plate). If those are the ends of the pins visible on the back, then they are an incredibly good fit. Since these are clearly an easily identifiable badge, might be a good opportunity either to put it to bed once and for all as a copy, or to confirm it as a good 'un, or at least as a 'possible' worthy of further debate? Would be interesting to know why your's have been plated. Best regards, Mike