British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   14th/20th King's Hussars Beret "Crewman" badge backing (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34180)

1stTankie 28-08-13 07:00 PM

14th/20th King's Hussars Beret "Crewman" badge backing

1 Attachment(s)
At various times between 1965 - post 1988 (?) qualified crewmen of the 14th/20th King's Hussars below the rank of sergeant with a B1 wore a badge backing divided diagonally in equal portions of Oxford blue and primrose yellow.

C E Audax covers these details in his excellent book " Badge Backings & Special Embellishments of the British Army"

I have illustrated the backings in question below but before I start making holes to mount the Hawk on them can somebody please tell me which is the correct way to do it?

Is it Blue to the left or right?

Even better can anyone provide a photograph of this backing being worn?

Best wishes

Gordon

Mike Jackson 28-08-13 07:31 PM

14/20 H hat flash

1 Attachment(s)
Hundreds of photos of 14/20 H over the post-War years here:

http://www.1420h.org.uk

But could only find one flash as illustrated - on a desert hat in Libya
1960s:
Attachment 89105

1stTankie 28-08-13 10:00 PM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

I have looked long and hard at the photograph and am still none the wiser. I have , however, sent an email to the Noah's Arc researcher and now await his response.
I will post his reply on the Forum as and when I receive it in case anyone else is having sleepless nights worrying about this problem!

Best wishes

Gordon

3748 Hussar 29-08-13 06:10 AM

14/20th

Gordon,
I have one of these, away at the mo :) . Back next Wednesday . Will post info and badge on my return.
Tony Cribb

1stTankie 29-08-13 06:28 AM

Hi Tony

Many thanks; safe return.

Gordon

REMEVMBEA1 29-08-13 07:41 AM

As a member of the Forward Repair Team (B mech seconded because of lack of A mechs) supporting the 14th/20th at the time I can say that although they know how to wear their badges they didn't know how to treat their tanks. I never worked with a regiment that blew as many engines.

GriffMJ 29-08-13 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The backing being worn ......

1stTankie 29-08-13 10:47 AM

Hi Griff

Wonderful resolution, thank you very much.
I assume this patch would have been worn the same way on the beret by those qualified to do so.

Best wishes

Gordon

sketchley kid 29-08-13 02:15 PM

14/20

Email sent.

1stTankie 29-08-13 10:12 PM

Hi Brian

Many thanks, very useful; see my reply.
Sadly we are not home yet.

Best wishes

Gordon

1stTankie 30-08-13 09:23 AM

Hi Mike

I note you tried to PM me. My Inbox is now empty, grateful you send again.

Gordon

54Bty 30-08-13 10:50 AM

Worked alongside these chaps on a number of occasions, and I must admit that I only ever saw a Primrose Yellow oval being worn behind the black 'hawk'.

Marc

1stTankie 30-08-13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 225982)
The backing being worn ......

Hi Griff

I have tried taking measurements from your improved resolution of Mike's photograph with the aim of discerning the size of the patch.

In his book C E Audax states they were 1.5 inches square. The ones I have, given me by a WO2, 14th/20th KH, are 1.75 inches square. The patch on the picture looks even larger so perhaps we are looking at a similar but different patch altogether on the "desert hat?"

Gordon

GriffMJ 30-08-13 11:14 AM

Gordon

The patches you have could have been cut from the larger patch on removal from the item they came from? They certainly look as though some scissors have been used to cut them away....

1stTankie 30-08-13 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 (Post 225981)
As a member of the Forward Repair Team (B mech seconded because of lack of A mechs) supporting the 14th/20th at the time I can say that although they know how to wear their badges they didn't know how to treat their tanks. I never worked with a regiment that blew as many engines.

"You may say that but I couldn't possibly comment"

To be fair to them the early days of Chieftain in BAOR were very fraught and lots of regiments suffered from pack failures.

Gordon