British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Help Researching a WW1 POW, 1st Bn Royal Liverpool (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64631)

Wooffy 02-10-17 05:07 PM

Help Researching a WW1 POW, 1st Bn Royal Liverpool

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping that the power (and collective wisdom) of the forum can help me find some more details on a chap. I have one document relating to the chap in question who is;L/Cpl Thomas James Welsh (242026) from the 1st Bn Royal Liverpool Regiment.

Any thing about his service history and/or his time as a POW would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Dave

Paul Spellman 02-10-17 06:36 PM

Hi Dave,
RL Regt is most likely 'Kings Own' - Royal Lancaster Regt, the 'Kings' Liverpool Regt did not have the Royal prefix despite being a Royal Regiment
Paul

Wooffy 02-10-17 09:14 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks - that's a great step in the right direction, not my usual area of concern so not sure about any of the abbreviations /notations.

Best wishes

Dave

High Wood 03-10-17 08:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry Paul, but it the King's (Liverpool) Regiment. Given his 6 figure service number he probably originally enlisted in the 1/6th battalion as did the two others on the same page.

Paul Spellman 03-10-17 08:45 AM

Oops!
Thanks Simon
What looks like an R must be a K (Regt/corps) don't usually see KL Regt they are usually written Liverpool Regt or Kings Liverpool Regt
Paul

Wooffy 03-10-17 02:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification and the additional information Simon - greatly appreciated.

High Wood 04-10-17 12:33 PM

Sadly, the service papers have not survived.

Wooffy 04-10-17 02:19 PM

I appreciate the effort in trying to find them - many thanks

arnhem2280 04-10-17 04:47 PM

Help researching a WW1 POW, 1st Bn Royal Liverpool

Hi

Have you tried the International Red Cross website in Switzerland. They have digitalised all the WW1 POW records some of which have a reasonable amount of detail on them. I'm not sure of the cost. At the moment they are doing the same for WW2 POW records but they won't be available until 2018 or 2019.

Cheers

Arnhem

Wooffy 04-10-17 06:25 PM

Hi Arnham,

I have looked on their searchable database with no result, but I hadn't realised that it was potentially not complete. I'll ping them an email,

Best wishes

Dave

Peter Brydon 21-10-17 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Small world, attached is a picture of my mother taken in the 1930`s outside my Grandmothers shop which was at 66 Dove Street off Lodge Lane in Liverpool, the shop was across the road from Thomas Welsh`s house. My grandmother owned the shop from about 1923 and might very well have know Thomas.

P.B.

Peter Brydon 21-10-17 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having checked, the regimental museum at Liverpool have some information on Thomas on their datebase ( see attached ), might be worth contacting them to see what it is.

P.B.