British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ANOTHER SUIT CASE ANOTHER HERO..... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54272)

NEMO 06-06-16 09:11 PM

ANOTHER SUIT CASE ANOTHER HERO.....

2 Attachment(s)
I made a house call in response to a reply from one of my news paper adds .

A couple had found a suit case full of RAF `paper work` and want to know if it was worth any thing and would i like to buy it ???

Flight Sgt Ernest Shackleton R.A.F Navigator K.I.A serving with 49 ( Lancasters ) squadron Stuttgart raid july 1944

The leather suit case looked like it has been sat on a shelf in the garage for years overlooked and forgotten

NEMO 06-06-16 09:16 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Lot comes with his training and operational log book , training took place in Alabama , the album shows several photos of a large cemetry filedl with Allied air crew graves from training accidents

NEMO 06-06-16 09:21 PM

6 Attachment(s)
aas

NEMO 06-06-16 09:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Medals are mint boxed with slip

realownlee 06-06-16 10:04 PM

Wow..............what a fantastic, poignant find.............what else is still out there? being an RAF collector, I dream of finds like this!
Goes without saying, I think, that this grouping will be staying together!!

NEMO 06-06-16 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realownlee (Post 363503)
Wow..............what a fantastic, poignant find.............what else is still out there? being an RAF collector, I dream of finds like this!
Goes without saying, I think, that this grouping will be staying together!!

yes , I have turned down one collector / dealer as he only wants the medal group ....... `not all the other junk` and I know he will split it up

Alex Rice 07-06-16 05:24 AM

Fantastic, well done!

Mike B 07-06-16 04:38 PM

Lovely grouping and what a sad story the archived time capsule tells.

Also very sad is the attitude of any so called collector / dealer who would be so disrespectful as to say they would take the medals but 'not all the other junk'. It is difficult to understand such comments.

Any grouping of items provides value far greater than the sum of its individual parts - this is a wonderful find!

Mike

Jackhr 07-06-16 10:23 PM

As a collector of medal groups to find a complete grouping nowadays is amazing and yes there are collectors who would split of photos and original paperwork to sell (after photo copying the originals) to stay with the group I know of a couple of guys who do this:mad:. If it is possible keep it all together ,but one question are any of his medals named? if not then the value would lie in the paperwork and photos.

Dimbles 10-06-16 08:51 PM

Yeah, it's sad that people don't seem to respect the personal history enough to keep groups together. Great find, I'd snap it up in an instant - if I had any cash at the moment :D

Staffsyeoman 11-06-16 07:27 AM

I assume the so-called "dealer/collector" saw an Air Crew Europe Star (as there isn't a photo of the medals I can see) and, like the old Tom and Jerry cartoons the eyes filled with pound signs. As any proper medal collector will tell you, provenance and supporting documentation is all - and this is perfect.

PFF Museum 11-06-16 06:53 PM

Wow, what a great find and like others, I dream of finds like this.

Is this grouping for sale at all?

Thank you for posting and well done.

Cheers for now.

Johnny