British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unknown Gurkha boss badge? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61360)

Tinto 20-04-17 02:06 AM

Unknown Gurkha boss badge?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gurkha experts,
I would be grateful for comments and identification of this small badge,
Thanks,
Tinto

54Bty 20-04-17 08:14 AM

I think that the fitting method on the reverse will determine what this badge is for.

Marc

Anjoucollector 20-04-17 08:34 AM

Hello,

it looks like kukri arm badge of the King's Royal Hussars.

Laurent

JerryBB 20-04-17 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjoucollector (Post 401999)
Hello,

it looks like kukri arm badge of the King's Royal Hussars.

Laurent

Not if you look at the first picture of it next to a BIC pen showing it to be very small.

peter monahan 20-04-17 12:24 PM

Unless it is very badly made, the handles are too clsoe together for it to be a Hussars' arm badge. Crossed kukris, handles down, could be 6th, 8th or 9th GR and if it is a boss badge - the size suggests it may be - there should be two wires cpming off the back, or evidence of same.

Tinto 20-04-17 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. The badge is not mine but here is a picture showing fixture, seems to be a prong rather than two wires.
Cheers,
Tinto

peter monahan 21-04-17 01:15 PM

I hevn't seen a fixing exactly like that before, but a number of Indian made badges - both legitimate and bazaar made for the tourist trade - feature one or two curved metal 'hooks', presumably menat to be pushed through cloth and crimped down. I wonder if this is an Indian made badge, either for one of theri Gurkha battalions or a tourist piece.

magpie 21-04-17 04:52 PM

It reminds me of the tourist kukris, the small badge was fixed to my dads one with a nail like prong pushed into the wooden scabbard.

Gurkha 21-04-17 07:03 PM

I'm certain it is a arm badge for the KRH and not a boss badge. They are small. The examples I have are identical in design,15mm H and have a variety of fixings, single lug, screw back, clutch pin In WM & AA. They often turn up listed as 'collars'

regards

Steve

Tinto 21-04-17 07:20 PM

Thank you everybody for your comments. I had thought it might be a bazaar souvenir badge.
Was the arm badge of the KRH worn on a coloured patch?
Cheers, Tinto

Gurkha 25-04-17 09:22 PM

Not that I am aware of
Regards
Steve.

Tinto 05-05-17 09:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Steve and all,
Here is an update. I now have this badge and have shown more pictures.
The fixtures originally consisted of two thin tabs, only one there now, and I have bent it in the opposite direction to avoid breaking it and to enable the badge to be mounted on card.
Cheers, Tinto